Latest post Thu, Jun 14 2018 1:44 PM by Bob Soetekouw. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 9 2018 10:30 AM

Render effects to disk will not allow a disk to have more than 8 characters in drivename

Discovered this by accident and my guess is that it probably also exists in earlier versions of MC.

When a MediaDrive name is longer than 8 characters (and I don't mean using special characters in the drive name) you can select it in the "media creation settings panel", but when trying to render an effect in the timeline the drive does not show up in the "Render Effect" dialog panel.

After having tried all the usual troubleshooting stuff like checking disk permissions, creating a new Avid MediaFiles folder, deleting the MCState and so on...

I saw that the drives that where select-able in the "Render Effect" dialog panel all had short names. (EXT-1, EXT-2)

After renaming the drive with a shorter name it showed up in the "Render Effect" dialog panel and it would render to that drive as it should.

This bug probably also exists if you have a windows system.

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony option | MacPro5,1 3,33GHz 12 Core 128GB RAM | nVidia Titan-X | OS-X 10.11.6 | Decklink mini 4K | M-Track 2x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2018 1:03 PM In reply to

Re: Render effects to disk will not allow a disk to have more than 8 characters in drivename

Update:

The problem was persistant and didn't seem to be related to the Drive name....*\

So after some more trouble shooting and research I finally found the solution for this annoying problem. It seems that the Mediacomposer does not allow writing files to a drive on which there's AMA linked footage. At least when a bin containing mediafiles or a sequence with AMA linked media is already open inside the project. Closing the bin with the AMA footage does not work. You have to close the application first.

Hope this will help anyone running into this problem.

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony option | MacPro5,1 3,33GHz 12 Core 128GB RAM | nVidia Titan-X | OS-X 10.11.6 | Decklink mini 4K | M-Track 2x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2018 1:05 PM In reply to

Re: Render effects to disk will not allow a disk to have more than 8 characters in drivename

Bob Soetekouw:
    It seems that the Mediacomposer does not allow writing files to a drive on which there's AMA linked footage. At least when a bin containing mediafiles or a sequence with AMA linked media is already open inside the project.

I cannot reproduce this on my own 2018.5 system (PC) or on the Mac 2018.4 system I was working on last week. On both systems you can AMA link footage from a drive and also render effects to the same drive while bins containing the AMA linked footage are open.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 10 2018 2:49 PM In reply to

What format is the drive? what permissions are set?

Have you tried a disc repair?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jun 10 2018 3:13 PM In reply to

Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

And yes I have also tried repairing the disk with DiskUtility. And it was fine.

The drive is brand new and I've copied all the Avid Mediafiles and original C300 footage from the original masterdisk to this new one a week ago.

And the permissions are set the same as with my other drives that the Avid does recognise.

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 1:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,814
    • Points 213,050
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bob

I created a case and will have support look at this for you....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 3:34 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

This seems to be the same problem:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/179346.aspx

It looks like it might be related linked clips...

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 3:39 PM In reply to

Are the linked clips on the top level or in another folder?

FWIW, I am using Facilis workspaces where I have a Linked Clips folder at the top level next to Avid MediaFiles and don't have any issues.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 5:23 PM In reply to

Linked clips are 7 directory's down from the root on the external drive.

Some even more, they kept the original folder structure form the Canon C-300.

• Thu, Jun 14 2018 1:44 PM In reply to

Also when everything is working just fine and I can render and import to all availabe drives. Until I open up a bin with a sequence containing DNxHD material and just one single linked clip, the Avid will immediately deny render access to the media drive in question. I can no longer choose the drive in the Mediacreation settings panel, the drive is greyed out. Closing the bin will not resolve the problem. I have to close the bin and relaunch the Avid application for it to recognise the drive again.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller