Latest post Thu, Jun 7 2018 12:57 PM by Rich Laws. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 1:49 PM

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 55
    • Points 545

Do Avid product/tools ever create media filenames containing non-ANSII unicode

Hi all,

I am trying to answer a client question/concern about one of our older products that may encounter media filenames created with non-ANSII unicode.   I have not seen filenames created with editors, AMT 2.X, AMT3.X, etc created with anything other than ANSII characters.   (Concern is AMT 2.X which uses byte wide char for file open, all of our new tools support wide char).

For example, would any Avid products/tools that I am unaware of ever create a file named:

unicodeアーカイブ画面 c0002_8f7a1cf9654505f7v01.mxf

Concern is not source media, it is the Avid compliant OP-ATOMS on Avid storage.

Thank you in advance!

Rich

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 8:22 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,545
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: Do Avid product/tools ever create media filenames containing non-ANSII unicode

Hi Rich,

I would not exclude such a possibility altogether. While editors recommended to run with locale settings configured, Production services may actually create names with multibyte characters.

You could probably try to use dos names for such cases or use newer toolkits.

Thanks

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 12:57 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 55
    • Points 545

Re: Do Avid product/tools ever create media filenames containing non-ANSII unicode

Hi Vadym,

Thank you for the quick response.  I assumed that this was the case barring any policy keeping filenames limited to ANSII characters. (Which appears not guaranteed by your response).

The only limit we have determined is with any of our products using AMT 2.X.  With several hundred installations, this cannot be a prevalent issue (yet) since it has only recently been inquired about.  (client in Japan).

We are in the process of migrating to the newer media processor toolkit but it will be awhile before we have an application built using the newer toolkit instead of AMT 2.x.   In the meantime, we will have our current products just report an error if it cannot process specific filenames.   Again, it hasn't happened in practice at this point.

Thanks again!

Rich

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller