Latest post Wed, Jun 6 2018 12:30 PM by BarkinMadd. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 4 2018 6:53 PM

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,550
    • Points 59,460

Anyone using Fusion Connect with MC 2018.5?

Haven't used it from MC for a bit and I just tried with MC 2018.5 (Fusion Studio 9.0.2, Fusion Connect 9.0.2) and the UI inside MC does not respond to the 'Edit' button in the Fusion Connect effect editor window nor does it respond to the path configuration (options) button. The other buttons in the Fusion Connect effect editor dialog work fine (including the button that exports the clip to image files in preparation for Fusion's loader node).

As far as I can recall, it was working recently (but prior to 2018.5).

Thought I'd ask here just in case...

Thanks

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 9:49 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone using Fusion Connect with MC 2018.5?

Which version of BM's desktop have you tried it with?  Avid released a new approved (tested)  BM Desktop a week ago for the BM Avid IO hardware users for whom the Fusion Edit Connect is supposed to work as part of the package.  Could be worth asking your the question in their Avid Forum  it might narrow down if the issue is with Avid or BM software.

I do not have Fusion Studio so cannot test for you. I keep a machine here with a combo of MC 8.92 and Fusion 9 that I know works (for me) with Fusion Connect.

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:31 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,550
    • Points 59,460

Hi Andrew - thanks for responding. I don't use BM desktop as I have no I/O. The weird thing about what I'm seeing is that even the path options dialog does not work. This was on my laptop system - I'll try tomorrow with my desktop system and see if I can reproduce there. Could be something odd with the laptop and its two GPUs, one Intel and one Quadro M1000 (I've heard of stranger things - lol).  

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 10:09 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 490
    • Points 6,200

BarkinMadd:
    the UI inside MC does not respond to the 'Edit' button in the Fusion Connect effect editor window

When you say 'respond' do you mean it doesn't start up Fusion or load the comp into Fusion?

This used to be one of the problems that existed with the free version of Fusion compared with the paid (Studio) version. This was thought to be down to the fact that the plugin fired off an external script to carry out this 'loading', and only the Studio version supported external scripts.

Do you see a script file inside your AVX_2 Plugins folder (probably called BlackmagicEditConnection.lua) as well as the actual AVX plugin itself?

Although nothing happens when you hit the edit button, you say that it correctly exports the necessary files. Does it also create the actual Fusion comp? This should be located in one of the top directories of the folder structure that gets created by the plugin. If you do have the comp, you could manually load it into Fusion, do your work, and export it with the settings as defined in the saver node. The test then is to see if Avid 'sees' this newly rendered comp and dispays it correctly on the timeline.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:10 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,550
    • Points 59,460

Hi Bruno - thanks for your response - to answer your questions:

a) Yes - the plugin and .lua file are present in the AVX_2 plugins folder

b) No - the comp file is not created as part of clicking 'Export Clips' but I'm not sure it ever was. I believe it was created when the 'Edit Effect' is first clicked (I could be wrong but that's my recollection).

I appreciate that everyone reading this post is probably jumping to the conclusion that this is that old 'known' issue with Fusion and MC but this is an entirely new behavior - I'll explain in a moment.

First - I was able to reproduce this on my desktop system as well. They are both running 2018.5 as well as Resolve 15b4 and Fusion Studio 9.0.2 (with Fusion Connect 9.0.2).

So - the problem seems to be that certain buttons in the Fusion Connect effect editor are no longer responsive. These include:

'Edit Effect', 'Browse for Location' and 'Configure Path Defaults'.

The 'Export Clips' button works as expected (creating the image files from the timeline clip) and all the other 'buttons' are just checkboxes and settings.

If this were just a problem with not launching Fusion when 'Edit Effect' was clicked we would see the old behavior where clicking on 'Edit Effect' would trigger the wait cursor and usually Fusion launches but does not load the composition (unless you have Fusion Studio - which I happen to have).

The weird part of what I'm reporting here is that other buttons 'Browse for Location' and 'Configure Path Defaults' should still work since all they do is bring up dialogs related to the effect plugin - nothing to do with launching Fusion - but they are also unresponsive (it's as if they do nothing now).

Sorry this is so long-winded. I'm going to escalate to the development team. Thanks.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jun 6 2018 6:04 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 71
    • Points 950

For what it's worth, I tried Fusion+Fusion connect+avid yesterday and had all those buttons working.
    First on a desktop HP z420 win7 MC 8.6.5 system. Then on a laptop Dell M3800 win10 MC2018.5. the Dell had QT 7.7.9 and nvidia 390.77 drivers - 3200x1800 screen - up to date win10 - aldo Resolve 15b4 installed on same machine FWIW. The same workaround thing with first export and then edit and then externally opening the comp was done.

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 6:56 AM In reply to

frediko:
    First on a desktop HP z420 win7 MC 8.6.5 system
    Do either or both of your systems have BM IO's? If so which version of BM's desktop are you using?

Steve I will try Fusion 9.02 (not Studio) with W10 and MC 2018.5 late tomorrow to check out the buttons etc.  

• Wed, Jun 6 2018 9:28 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 71
    • Points 950

AndrewAction:

frediko:
    First on a desktop HP z420 win7 MC 8.6.5 system
    Do either or both of your systems have BM IO's? If so which version of BM's desktop are you using?

No IO connected, no BM desktop installed. I only tried it once though, can't vouch for stability.

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 12:30 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,550
    • Points 59,460

Thanks Frediko and Andrew - I've escalated this one to Avid.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller