Latest post Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:27 PM by Marianna. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 3 2018 7:28 PM

Sorenson - still relevant?

Hi,

I'm coming back to Avid after a year's absence and full OS reinstall. 

Avid were superb but Sorenson are being *** - my old v.6 is now 'unsupported' and they don't seem to care less that it won't reinstall properly.

Sorenson was once indispensible for exporting compressed files. 

But the last Avid editor I worked with exported a fast, compressed .AVI file straight out of Media Composer - something that was unheard of a few years ago. 

So, is Sorenson now basically redundant? I kind of hope so, as I don't appreciate being bullied into spending $$00s on the latest version. 

Thanks,

Jon

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,358
    • Points 62,855

Re: Sorenson - still relevant?

Still find that QT ref export and encoding outside of Avid is the fastest path. Plenty of Squeeze replacements if You feel like that. There's the powerful command line utility ffmpeg (and its broadcast fork), with AnotherGUI or HandBrake as a front end, to make life easier. HTH

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 3:38 PM In reply to

I still use Squeeze all the time.  I deliver TV commercials and have pre-sets saved for various TV stations.   I simply export a same-as-source or QT ref (for longer projects), click on a pre-set, and encode in Squeeze. 

If you need to export an MOV file (other than SAS or QT ref) you do NOT want to export directly from MC with the resulting gamma shift problems.  I encode all my MOV deliverables in Squeeze.

The one downside I have is that Squeeze 11 Pro is techncially not supported on Win 7.   This results in a few encoding errors with sound going out-of-sync when encoding H.264/MOV files.    Considering how many systems are still running Win 7 Pro, this is something Sorenson missed on their latest release.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:52 AM In reply to

I use TMPGenc to encode to H264 for upload and archive.

It can do H264 10bit 4:2:2 and up to 4:4:4 Intra.

No QT ref or MXF OP1a exports though.

And by the x264 slower but qualit is top notch.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 9:45 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,565

Handbrake is free, supports multiple platforms and has had many professional editors/colourists endorse it's ease of use and quality.

Get it here and say farewell to Sorenson!

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 10:48 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,358
    • Points 62,855

I'm accustomed to Sorenson Squeeze, but I find it overpriced, if money was no object I'd rather look at TeleStream; I'm still on SS 8.5, since I refused to upgrade from SS 9 on, given the price. Whenever the release I'm running will be too obsolete to work on the current OS, or too many new codecs will not be available, I'll say goodbye. I'm transcoding 8k footage to x265 with HandBrake while posting this.... And please don't forget the ffmbc & AnotherGUI combo, slightly less intuitive than HandBrake, but more broadcast level oriented.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 11:45 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,313
    • Points 53,315

10 years ago, only the "Professional" solutions were considered. Now as more segments of content producers transcode, less costly software has been utilized and accepted as capable of quality output and stabile operation.

At some point, SS will have to accomodate the new market.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:02 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone for your informed and illuminating feedback.

Sorenson eventually relented and upgraded me to v.8, so credit to them, and I'll stick with Squeeze for now. 

But I do get the impression their days are numbered, for aforementioned reasons.

On another note, the Avid engineer who helped me reinstall MC confided they all hate Windows 10 and still run 7 wherever possible. 

I get the impression the inevitable forced migration to 10 is going to be a long hard one. 

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 5:08 PM In reply to

jon Frontier:
    the Avid engineer who helped me reinstall MC confided they all hate Windows 10 and still run 7 wherever possible. 

Many of us still run MC on a Windows 7 system.    Assuming Avid users are a significant Sorenson customer base, it is disappointing that Sorenson stopped supporting Win 7 on their latest releases.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Jun 12 2018 11:35 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 21 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I'm on Squeeze 11 Pro and it is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE. They initially advertised their new GPU acceleration which, upon download, I learned is no longer supported. They also don't support mxf transcoding to DNxHR (huge problem for an editor whose client wants UHD dailies). Their customer service is terrible -- I gave them my system specs and they said Squeeze would be able to encode any footage quickly, beautifully and easily -- especially with 40 cores.

Whether I export my timeline straight from Avid as a ref or it's an external MOV, image sequence, etc. the encoding times move at a glacial pace and the image quality has not once been even remotely acceptable (my experiences have been with either 1080p or UHD footage). I always have to re-export/encode through another software. Exporing straight from Avid is actually faster and produces better quality when exporting 1080p h264 files.

I am by no means a Premier fan (never tried it) but I've found Media Encoder to work supremely faster and produce flawless results (this was a tip I learned from our post/finishing house). Another work around I prefer is exporting a same as source MOV from Avid and having Resolve transcode it - beautiful results but slightly larger file sizes.

Hope this helps!

MC 8.9.2, Windows 10 Pro DUAL XEON E5-2698v4 (40 C) 256 GB RAM (3x)NVIDIA M6000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 18 2018 4:51 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,870

I've virtually turned my back on Sorenson by now as it is unreliable and glitches in compressions ever since I started working with UHD footage.  I have had a chat with them (Jeff) about it but it keeps happening - not good when clients say their preview file glitch go out of sync half way through.  It may be caused by higher system load with UHD but I cant STOP editing as Sorenson wants all the bandwidth...  I get around it by using the 2000mbps C drive for mixdowns and compression outputs but that is a terrible workflow.

I also lost my lovely P2 HD fast Quick Time Ref workflow when i changed my camera as they still dont support Sony XAVC codecs for quick time ref export - just get a white screen.  I sought help again but ultimately gave up as they were blaming Apple QT - but it was Sorenson I gave my money to and XAVC is only H264 MXF...

They also seemed to drop CUDA GFX GPU support and so compression times got much slower that real time rather than faster... One of the reasons I bought a beefy GFX card - quick outputs...

It was great to export a quick time ref, let Sorenson do its thing in the background, and keep on editing. Once.

MC 8.5.3, Blackmagic Intensity Pro (cant get it working well in 4k though...), WIN 10 on 2000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K2000, Asus X99 Mobo, 4.0 GHz Hex core CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10

VIDEO MEDIA PRODUCTION COMPANY AND FACILITIES CARDIFF, LONDON, BRISTOL, WALES, CRACKING PRODUCTIONS

• Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:31 PM In reply to

Sad to see so many negative experiences with Squeeze.   I've had some sync issues with some codecs, but it's still a solid part of my workflow despite ending Windows 7 support.   I hope the folks from Sorenson take note of these comments as a wake up call.   Assuming Premier users also use Adobe Media Encoder, that leave Avid users as an important market for Sorenson which they should not neglect.

• Wed, Jun 20 2018 9:24 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,358
    • Points 62,855

Other than the technical glitches (it can happen with software, and it's OKish as long as they're promptly fixed), another issue is the split in three flavours, with MXF only supported by the pro version as far as I remember: as Avid users we have no other option than the most expensive Squeeze variant. MXF is an open file format as far as I understand, since no royalties are involved (please correct me if I'm wrong) I do not really see why MXF support is so expensive. And talking of money, purchase and upgrade fees are outrageous, considering the free (GPL) source code embedded in the application, please see the "About" menu for details; one thing is to develop a program from the ground up, another thing is developing a front end for public domain software, freely developed by the community. All in all, either Sorenson adopts a fair pricing policy, or I'll say goodbye, sadly and with some regrets.

peace luca

• Sat, Aug 4 2018 9:06 AM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,935

Bruno M:

Handbrake is free, supports multiple platforms and has had many professional editors/colourists endorse it's ease of use and quality.

Get it here and say farewell to Sorenson!

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Thank you very much for the Handbrake link. I've now got it on my system, and it looks to be very promising. I'll keep Squeeze for a while as I still use a few custom presets for some work, but the days are numbered.

Gerry

MC 2018.9, Win 10 Pro CE, Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 399.07),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 4 2018 11:43 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 21 2016
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

luca.mg:

Other than the technical glitches (it can happen with software, and it's OKish as long as they're promptly fixed), another issue is the split in three flavours, with MXF only supported by the pro version as far as I remember: as Avid users we have no other option than the most expensive Squeeze variant. MXF is an open file format as far as I understand, since no royalties are involved (please correct me if I'm wrong) I do not really see why MXF support is so expensive. And talking of money, purchase and upgrade fees are outrageous, considering the free (GPL) source code embedded in the application, please see the "About" menu for details; one thing is to develop a program from the ground up, another thing is developing a front end for public domain software, freely developed by the community. All in all, either Sorenson adopts a fair pricing policy, or I'll say goodbye, sadly and with some regrets.

Uh, and not just that, but only DNxHD?! Where the heck is the DNxHR preset?! The pro version doesn’t process footage/sequences at all like they advertise on their site. Literally every project I’ve edited for the past two years has had demands for higher and higher resolution outputs. I can’t screen a rough cut at 1080p. 

Their site looks like it hasn’t been touched in five years and all their “blog posts” are from 2011. They had a blog post about an update to implementing more DNx codecs from 2016 and it just never happened. 

Looks like it’s sayonara for Sorenson. 

Handbrake looks nice — I’ll definitely be checking that out. If anyone knows of other alternatives — both free or priced —please post and let me know!

MC 8.9.2, Windows 10 Pro DUAL XEON E5-2698v4 (40 C) 256 GB RAM (3x)NVIDIA M6000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller