Latest post Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:50 AM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 31 2018 9:55 AM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,171
    • Points 14,060

MC idle but CPU used at 25% - 'rogue threads'

This is a spin-off from this discussion.

Today I could see the symptom after a very simple set of actions:

1) launch MC & open an existing (but essentially empty) 1080p25 project

2) using the source browser, AMA-link to a dozen UHD MP4 clips on a fast SD card

after a few seconds (Source browser closed), and before doing anything else than inserting the unedited clips on an empty TL, I heard my laptop's fan start; I then looked at Task Manager: it reported 2 logical cores at a steady 95% utilization; absolutely no other sign of activity (no I/O to see with Resource Monitor, Background Services stopped, Matrox I/O physically disconnected, etc.); Process Explorer shows the 2 offending threads inside the AvidMediaComposer.exe process.

After watching this for 15 minutes, I closed & restarted MC: as explained in the other discussion, exiting and restarting MC solves the problem...for a while.

I'm curious to understand what causes this behaviour ? Are the offending threads just not ending gracefully after linking & loading the clips with Source Browser ??? Is this just another symptom of a now below-spec system (but playback of these clips goes just fine...) ?

Marianna,

considering the 'age' of my system, is it worth entering a case, or is it wasted time for your engineers (and me ;-)) ?

MC 2018.12 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2018 11:14 AM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Vienna
    • Posts 64
    • Points 730

Re: MC idle but CPU used at 25% - 'rogue threads'

i had a case logged with Avid support, but becusae it was a non qualified system (see specs of my unit #2) it was not elevated to next engineering level.

case id 03456131

1) MC Symphony 2018.11, HP Z420: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 6 cores @3.50GHz, 40GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Z TurboDrive 256GB as system disc, Thunderbolt 2 PCIe... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2018 12:18 PM In reply to

There are a number of possible processes thast could begoing on. One is creating audio waveforms.

We expect them to be there and available but of course to make them Avid has to scan the whole of the source clip and build them.

So loading sources will often create that. Sources that have the audio as interleaved with the video require a full decode to extract the audio information (so massively processor intensive) other formats that contain decreet Audio tracks can access the audio data easier.

There maybe more as well.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, May 31 2018 12:31 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,171
    • Points 14,060

aVienna Yep I remember your PM, but not sure it's the same issue (this one has no background services involved) ?

I am just hoping someone could 'explain' what's happening (if it is 'by design')...Confused

MC 2018.12 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2018 12:42 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,171
    • Points 14,060

Pat Horridge:
    Sources that have the audio as interleaved with the video require a full decode to extract the audio information (so massively processor intensive) other formats that contain decreet Audio tracks can access the audio data easier.

That sounds quite plausible (although wavefom display is disabled): considering the amount of data to process (about 2 hours of UHD MP4 - 60 GB), it could be well so that this process wasn't finished after 15 min when I decided to exit and reload MC. I would need to investigate why there was no visible I/O....perhaps a side effect of read caching and clever demuxing of the embedded audio.

Good tip...as usual, Pat - thx

• Thu, May 31 2018 2:27 PM In reply to

Have a look at the network tab and see if there is any activity there.  If there is then it is likely to be the AMA working in the background.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:50 AM In reply to

BenoitM:

Pat Horridge:
    Sources that have the audio as interleaved with the video require a full decode to extract the audio information (so massively processor intensive) other formats that contain decreet Audio tracks can access the audio data easier.

That sounds quite plausible (although wavefom display is disabled): considering the amount of data to process (about 2 hours of UHD MP4 - 60 GB), it could be well so that this process wasn't finished after 15 min when I decided to exit and reload MC. I would need to investigate why there was no visible I/O....perhaps a side effect of read caching and clever demuxing of the embedded audio.

Good tip...as usual, Pat - thx

Don't forget even if waveforms aren't enabled they are still being calculated so they are ready. With Avid media audio is stored in a seperate MXF file(s) so access decoding and building wavforms is easy and low bandwidth.

Its AMA linked sources that require decoding of the complete stream to access the audio that cause more CPU effort. An easy test would be to make a selection of AMA sources that have no audio tracks (can't just be mute as that would still be processed) then AMA and test.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller