Latest post Mon, May 28 2018 3:12 PM by David Yardley. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 26 2018 6:14 AM

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 13 2013
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,875

Broadcast Safe Levels

I seem to remember at one point, my system was keeping my timeline broadcast safe by keeping clip high and low on in color corrector.  Like that option was always checked.  Now it is not checked -- I have to check it each time.  Is there a way to make that happen or something else I need to do to keep broadcast safe levels without having to overthink it?

• Sat, May 26 2018 7:15 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,365
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Broadcast Safe Levels

If you mean the Luminance Clipper in the HSL tab, it's not (and never has been AFAIK) a reliable way to legalise your video levels as it only clips the Luminance and doesn't limit RGB levels.

Instead, set the Safe Colours settings to the limits you want - including RGB limits - and then apply the Safe Colour Limiter effect to a top track in your timeline. Providing you monitor that track level, you will be monitoring the legalised levels.

In the Safe Colour Limiter effect, be sure to enable 422 safe to properly limit thefull video frame. 

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 26 2018 10:19 AM In reply to

And don't forget an RGB legaised DNx or ProRes timeline maywell become illegal when transcoded to AVC-I for AS-11 delivery.

This only happens in areas of high stauration but its a real pain. One solution is to mix down to AVC-I and legalise that before export.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, May 27 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

MikeyB:
    Instead, set the Safe Colours settings to the limits you want - including RGB limits - and then apply the Safe Colour Limiter effect to a top track in your timeline.

This post got me wondering...   I always use the Luminance Clipper and then apply the Safe Color effect to the top track.   Then I export as same-as-source file in 709 color space before encoding to broadcast specs in Squeeze.   Should I be modifying any settings in the Safe Color Limiter if I'm exporting as 709?   I've never done anything except drop the effect onto the top track as a precaution before exporting.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, May 27 2018 6:15 PM In reply to

If you limit RGB to 16-235 then the luminance must be correct. No need to luma clip if you RGB limit.

In the safe colour limiter I turn on the 422 safe and turn off the luma and composite limiters and just have on the RGB limiter set to 16 and 235.

That ensures your SAS export is legal. It doesn't ensure the Encoded file is legal. You really need an AQC of the actual deliverable file (not the file its made from) to be sure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Sun, May 27 2018 7:33 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,365
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Agree with Pat. By setting the RGB limits at 0 and 255, Avid's Safe Colour Limiter is useless in its default state. RGB limiting at 16 and 235 is the vital thing.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 27 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

MikeyB:

Agree with Pat. By setting the RGB limits at 0 and 255, Avid's Safe Colour Limiter is useless in its default state. RGB limiting at 16 and 235 is the vital thing.

Yes I wonder why it defaults to effectively a useless setting. How can the RGB ever be less than 0 or more than 255.

-

• Mon, May 28 2018 2:24 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

In the safe colour limiter I turn on the 422 safe and turn off the luma and composite limiters and just have on the RGB limiter set to 16 and 235.

That ensures your SAS export is legal. It doesn't ensure the Encoded file is legal.

Once exported as above, I encode in Squeeze with 709 color space selected.  l always assumed this would be legal and I've never had a commercial insertion fail.  Hopefully, I'm not missing something...

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, May 28 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    How can the RGB ever be less than 0 or more than 255.

Probably because a YUV signal can exceed those values, so converting to RGB with the limiter will clip them.

(Some DNxHD YUV codecs used to give strange colours when viewed on an Adrenaline RGB output.)

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller