Latest post Thu, Jul 5 2018 7:36 AM by Job ter Burg. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 17 2018 11:37 PM

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Looking for some licensing advice

I have two current perpetual MC licenses. One is dongle activated and the other is software activated. I have been maintaining both at US$299 a year. In past years when I was really busy, I had a need for two licenses. Now I only need one. Obviously, things have changed quite a bit in the last twelve months with regard to MC, it’s pricing and licensing plans so I’m reviewing my licensing arrangements.

Am I right in understanding that . . .

1)    If I allow my software activated license to lapse in the middle of next month, I could still use it if I need to, but it will be locked at v2018.06.

2)    For my dongle license which is activated till Dec ’18, it seems like it would be best to let that lapse as well because at US$199, a 1-year subscription is US$100 a year less expensive than maintaining a US$299 perpetual license.

Any thoughts on my situation would be greatly appreciated as I have to make a decision to abandon a perpetual license pretty soon.

Obviously it seems Avid is encouraging users to move to their subscription model, I’m curious to know what other perpetual license users are doing?

Cheers!

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2018 12:27 AM In reply to

Re: Looking for some licensing advice

1) True
    2) If you  let it lapse it will be locked at 2018.12 but you can use that version till your dongle expires  (probably somewhere around 2070 Smile)

So if you let both lapse you will still have 2 usable but not updateable perpetual licences.

Then you can go  subscription IF or when you need newer features.  AFAIK you will then need a months subscription every time you need to access a timeline using newer features than 2018.12

oze:
    I’m curious to know what other perpetual license users are doing?
    I would be keeping the perpetuals even if I did not update support.  FWIW  I have a lapse support software activated licence capped at MC 5.5.  It is still used occasionally with a perfectly functioning Adrenaline HD and pre MC 6 projects.

Could you login here. Open your post, select Edit and then HTML. Delete all of garbage code at the top of your post. Thanks.

• Fri, May 18 2018 12:53 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Thanks Andrew. Seems like letting a perpetual lapse is not the end of the world when there are other paid options just a few clicks away when they're needed.

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2018 2:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,663
    • Points 211,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

True Oze

Then only rub would be if it was a dongle.... dongle licenses are like gold and you should consider keeping it renewed. remember any perpetual that expires can not be brought back on plan

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, May 21 2018 10:42 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Thanks Marianna, that's interesting, why are Dongles like gold?

Mine is 15 years old and quite fragile. It tends to fall apart a bit if not removed very carefully.

• Tue, May 22 2018 8:42 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

oze:
    Obviously it seems Avid is encouraging users to move to their subscription model
    It seems to me that Avid is forcing users to move, rather than encouraging them, or were You being sarcastic? Until the activation/deactivation process via the AppMan becomes smarter and more confortable a dongle is much easier to manage across different systems.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, May 22 2018 12:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,663
    • Points 211,150
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

luca.mg:

oze:
    Obviously it seems Avid is encouraging users to move to their subscription model
    It seems to me that Avid is forcing users to move, rather than encouraging them, or were You being sarcastic? Until the activation/deactivation process via the AppMan becomes smarter and more confortable a dongle is much easier to manage across different systems.

Spot on Luca!

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:57 PM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

So, it seems like there is a $100 dongle "tax" .  I also have a Perpetual license on a dongle with the symphony option.  What would I actually lose if I let it lapse and then get the $199 deal sometime down the road.  I'm trying to justify keeping my dongle current. Why pay $299 now when I may be able to use the version I have for some time, and if I do need to upgrade in the future it will be $100 cheaper.  What am I missing?

Media Composer ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, Win 7 Pro, i7-3770K processor, 32 gig ddr3 ram, 4 2TB gig Sata III drives, raid 5, 3WARE Sas 9750-4I Sata III... [view my complete system specs]

Mattman

Life is good, eternal life is better.

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:59 PM In reply to

mattman:
    What am I missing?
    That you would be switching from a license you own to a license you rent. And you get a more generous support package if you keep your perpetual under an active plan.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:18 PM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

I own my perpetual software now and I have to pay $299 to keep it current.  If I don't pay the $299 now, I still own it, but can have access to updates on another "rented" license for $199 in the future.  Not sure the support package is worth anything to me, I have had Media Composer for 10-15 years and have never needed support.  Thank you for your thoughts, but am still not convinced it is worth shelling out a yearly fee on software that I own, when I am sure I may be able to get by for many years without any upgrades or support. 

Media Composer ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, Win 7 Pro, i7-3770K processor, 32 gig ddr3 ram, 4 2TB gig Sata III drives, raid 5, 3WARE Sas 9750-4I Sata III... [view my complete system specs]

Mattman

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:43 PM In reply to

OK. My thinking is that it’s 300 a year for something I use every single working day. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:01 PM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

okay fair enough.  This software that I am looking at keeping current is my own personal copy which gets used a handfull of times a year.  I do use Media composer every single working day at my day job, but I think it is version 6 and obviously does not have support.  So, other than not being able to use my symphony option with the $199 / year subscription, there doesn't seem to be a reason to stay current at this time at all.  My version 6 at work puts out a weekly show just fine.  If I can continue to use my current version at home for 4-5 years, I'll have saved enough money to buy a new perpetual version.

Mattman

• Thu, Jul 5 2018 7:36 AM In reply to

FYI: If you own the Symph option, you can still use that on the 199/yr MC rental. You won’t have shared storage support, though.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller