Latest post Thu, May 17 2018 1:41 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 17 2018 4:43 AM

• realblake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 27 2013
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Video Levels are off on SDI Output.

I'm working with footage linked with AMA.  The highlights look clipped and the blacks look crushed.  I think the colors are off as well.  I'm starting with 4:4:4 RGB LOG (DCI-P3 color space) files originating from a film scanner at the film lab.  My monitor is compatible with DCI-P3 as well as REC 709.  I've tried both and it still looks off.  There are no color transforms applied in the source settings dialogue and no effects on the timeline.  The source histogram shows no clipping or crushing as expected since the scan was from a low conrast print.  But the histogram in the color correction tool shows expanded contrast as well as clipping/crushing.  The settings on the Decklink Card match the footage and the Avid project settings.  When I play the footage from Resolve, the output looks correct.  What is Avid doing to the footage that I'm missing?

MAC: MC 8.5, OS 10.8.5, Imac 27" 3.4 quad core i7, 8 GB ram, 1TB SATA drive, Geforce GTX 680MX, G-Tech Graid USB 3.0, Squeeze 11, Boris Red 5.5 PC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 17 2018 1:41 PM In reply to

Re: Video Levels are off on SDI Output.

You will need to go to the Source Settings of the clip and apply the proper color space and/or LUT. MC is making assumptions about those parameters and likely wrong.

Also, it does not hurt to coordinate with the DP or DIT about the footage including any custom LUTs they may have used during the shoot.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller