Latest post Fri, May 4 2018 2:54 PM by scocklin. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 4 2018 12:15 PM

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 641
    • Points 7,685

Linking non time-code camera files using Waveform Analysis and AAF out to Resolve

I thought I would try asking on the forum about this one before spending the weekend working out a solution.

I recently starting shooting 2 camera interviews using an F5 and A7R II, normally with 2 F5’s I would jam sync time-code between the cameras, multi-cam the sequence, group clips and export via AAF to Resolve where I would link to the original camera files.   

Now with the A7R (no JAM Sync time-code) I’m using waveform analysis to multi-cam with the F5 however when I export my AAF out to Resolve because there is no time-code on the A7R camera clips Resolve will not link to the A7R original camera files. 

Is there a way to sync time-code in the original camera files (syncing the A7R files to the time-code on the F5 camera file)?

Or should I just transcode the footage in Avid to the highest resolution, multi-cam, export an AAF and let Resolve find those files in my media directory?

I forgot to say all the files where shot in S-Log2.

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 4 2018 2:40 PM In reply to

Re: Linking non time-code camera files using Waveform Analysis and AAF out to Resolve

Looking online it suggests the A7R does have timecode? are you sure it doesn't? It may not be settable and may start at 00:00:00:00 every clip but as long as it exists it should work in resolve.

If you can send me a short sample clip I'd do some tests.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, May 4 2018 2:54 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 641
    • Points 7,685

Re: Linking non time-code camera files using Waveform Analysis and AAF out to Resolve

Yes there is timecode on the A7R but you can't jam sync with another camera (F5) when recording in the field.  What I'd like to do is change the TC in the camera file to match up with the Sony F5.  I can changed the TC of the linked file in Avid but it does not change it on the camera file.  What I want to do is in Resolve link using my AAF file from Avid to the original camera files.  Thinking this over maybe I'm asking for too much. 

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K,... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller