Latest post Mon, May 14 2018 4:14 PM by Leckerwurstbrot. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 4 2018 11:18 AM

• Leckerwurstbrot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 6 2017
    • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Advanced Search Commands for Bins

Depending on the project I'm working on I often like to use subclips for my selects and categorize them by using Keywords as Name e.g. "Car City Night Solo Topshot wide" or whatever. It would be really great if I was able to have some advanced search stuff inside the Bin view like including or excluding specific words as in google. 

Mac Pro 10.12.6, 2 x 2,66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3071 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 4 2018 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: Advanced Search Commands for Bins

Sifting? Like this?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/video-software/avid-media-composer-sorting-and-sifting-video-clips.html#b

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, May 4 2018 4:52 PM In reply to

Leckerwurstbrot:

Depending on the project I'm working on I often like to use subclips for my selects and categorize them by using Keywords as Name e.g. "Car City Night Solo Topshot wide" or whatever. It would be really great if I was able to have some advanced search stuff inside the Bin view like including or excluding specific words as in google. 

I am using v8.8.4 ON PC, I can type in a word or a partial word or file number at the bottom of a bin and get a sifted display in that Bin immediately as I type, which is pretty cool. With that in mind, strategically when naming things in the first place, abbreviating from general to specific could help.

That Bin Sift seems limited though, and shows nothing in Bin after adding a space, an "and" or "+" sign as far as I can tell. Is there a trick we don't know about?

I agree that excluding keyword(s) would be very helpful, +1.

All the same, I am grateful to have that Bin Sift window tool when hunting for numbered files.

You probably know that CUSTOM SIFT Tool will allow some Advanced stuff. 3 layers of Sift x2 so that you could set one layer to ".Sub", for example, plus use the extra two layers--  which might help. 

You can leave the CUSTOM SIFT Tool set to "Sub" and further search using the Bin's search...and it is accessible with a right-click inside a bin.

But yes, I agree it would probably be better if we had those Google-esque search operators we've become familiar with.

*Unlike the FIND tool, the old CUSTOM SIFT Tool does not keep a history or remember your previous search/find text entries. If it did, making re-selects after changing to other sifts, would be a breeze. That handy memory would be great to have in each Bin's sift field as well. If it's possible now-- please advise.

I took a look at the FIND tool and tried using the "Restrict Search" dropdown's "Current Bin" selection, but it didn't seem to work until I changed drop down to the default "Bins in Project", which displays too much, but does indicate each result's Bin location. Or am I not using "Current Bin" properly?

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 14 2018 4:14 PM In reply to

• Leckerwurstbrot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 6 2017
    • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

I am using v8.8.4 ON PC, I can type in a word or a partial word or file number at the bottom of a bin and get a sifted display in that Bin immediately as I type, which is pretty cool. With that in mind, strategically when naming things in the first place, abbreviating from general to specific could help.

That Bin Sift seems limited though, and shows nothing in Bin after adding a space, an "and" or "+" sign as far as I can tell. Is there a trick we don't know about?

I agree that excluding keyword(s) would be very helpful, +1.

All the same, I am grateful to have that Bin Sift window tool when hunting for numbered files.

You probably know that CUSTOM SIFT Tool will allow some Advanced stuff. 3 layers of Sift x2 so that you could set one layer to ".Sub", for example, plus use the extra two layers--  which might help. 

You can leave the CUSTOM SIFT Tool set to "Sub" and further search using the Bin's search...and it is accessible with a right-click inside a bin.

But yes, I agree it would probably be better if we had those Google-esque search operators we've become familiar with.

*Unlike the FIND tool, the old CUSTOM SIFT Tool does not keep a history or remember your previous search/find text entries. If it did, making re-selects after changing to other sifts, would be a breeze. That handy memory would be great to have in each Bin's sift field as well. If it's possible now-- please advise.

I took a look at the FIND tool and tried using the "Restrict Search" dropdown's "Current Bin" selection, but it didn't seem to work until I changed drop down to the default "Bins in Project", which displays too much, but does indicate each result's Bin location. Or am I not using "Current Bin" properly?

Oh wow I didn't know about the custom Sift Tool... And thanks for the Link @Pat Horrige. It works really great.

But still: I'm all about intuition and speed. We do have this little Search Bar in our Bin Windows. And this little Search Bar seems to look only at the Name Column (Again, correct me if I'm wrong). It's this search bar I'd like to see upgraded. 

I work in advertising (permanently in a post house until I decide otherwise) so it happens very frequently that the clients breath down my neck and want changes made on the spot or want to look at some shots for themselves. Opening the sift tool, choosing columns, searching and maybe still end up seeing clips in the bin you dont need seems like a drag and opening a clip you didn't mean to doesn't look so great in the eyes of a client who has no idea about Avid. Beeing able to use these kind of operation commands (AND, OR, +, - and so on) would make this a lot more comfortable and intuitive.

Mac Pro 10.12.6, 2 x 2,66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 3071 MB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller