Latest post Tue, May 1 2018 10:13 AM by Supermandan1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 28 2018 12:11 PM

Preferred frame rates ?

Hi,

Just a quick poll for all you combined shooters & editors.  Which standard frame rates do you like to work in and why - 24, 25 or 30 fps ?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 28 2018 1:59 PM In reply to

Re: Preferred frame rates ?

Depends on destination and delivery format. Usually theatrical, 24.000fps. Sometimes EU television at 25p, although credits often need to be at 50i.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 30 2018 3:53 PM In reply to

Thank you.  Another generic question.  I want to build a generic title sequence in Avid FX for a video production company about to launch.  If starting a new project in MC 2018.4, with all the myriad options of formats - 4K and Ultra HD, etc. - does any of this matter at all?  What I mean is that if I complete the titles project in 1080p/24, then, say, at some later date I am working on a different 1080/30 or even 4K project, and when finishing this I add at the beginning the Avid FX titles originally produced in 1080p/24, will there likely be any quality issues over & above simply adapting to different project frame rates?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 30 2018 7:41 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,232
    • Points 39,230

I do not know AvidFX at all.  But if I were tasked with what you describe, I would use After Effects for a variety of reasons. Can provide details if you care.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Apr 30 2018 8:50 PM In reply to

Hi Jef,

Thank you for getting back.  I have used Avid FX before and it is pretty decent.  I don't have After Effects, so can't go down that route.  It's Ok, if you were going to do this in AE then please could you list what you would do; it most likely is transferable.  With a few nice extra flourishes, in principle the following is the brief: https://vimeo.com/267213550/e20b3004c7

Also, as asked above, which format should I use to help make the finished, animated logo reasonably future-proof - or does this matter ?

Any advice is welcome,

DC

• Mon, Apr 30 2018 8:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,232
    • Points 39,230

The thing about AE is that it is TRULY resolution and frame rate independent.

Assuming you are using all Vector assets (which type should be) then you could design your sequence in pretty much any flavor res or frame rate and you would be able to modify that later.

There are some good practices that one needs to follow for this, but they are not really a problem for something as you describe.

I just do not know if Avid FX has the same underlying engine.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, May 1 2018 10:13 AM In reply to

Hi Jef,

Again, thanks for getting back.  I wouldn't know your technical questions, particularly whether Avid FX has the same underlying engine as AE.  Relating to the task at hand, this is one tutorial found on Youtube that is not a million miles from where I want to be, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG1ae1cplvw&t=278sv=uG1ae1cplvw&t=278s

This is a small task that I would like to tackle, if only at a later date to be better informed when discussing graphical elements requirements with freelance talent.  Out of interest, could you give me summary, abstract definitions (in context to the titles/graphic design job at hand) for the terms: vector assets, spline and extrude ?

Thank you,

DC

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller