Latest post Tue, Nov 13 2018 8:45 PM by Benjamin A Pillmore. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 25 2018 12:46 PM

Idea [I] eGPU Support in the Pipeline?

After a bit of scouring, it seems like no one has posed the inevitable question: Are we going to see eGPU support in MC?

I just picked up a Sonnet eGFX breakaway box with an AMD Radeon Pro wx7100 to support BMD Fusion & Resolve, but Avid seems to be limited to the display GPU on my MacBook Pro (Radeon Pro 560).

If anyone has some tips or has an MBP + eGPU setup running into MC, do let me know.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15" (2018), Intel i9 @ 2.9GHz, 32gb DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, Sonnet eGFX eGPU w/ AMD Radeon Pro WX7100... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Apr 25 2018 10:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,890
    • Points 214,125
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: eGPU Support in the Pipeline?

Hi Benjamin

Our software does not support remote GPUs!  I don't think there are any plans at this time. to do it. I think it's a lot cheaper to buy a better laptop with upgraded graphics than to buy a remote PCIe box and add a graphics card! Marianna
    Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 26 2018 9:13 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 523
    • Points 6,635

Marianna:
    it's a lot cheaper to buy a better laptop with upgraded graphics than to buy a remote PCIe box and add a graphics card!

However much you pay for a better laptop, you'll never get the graphic's performance you can achieve with an external GPU. Trying to cram the power of (say) a GTX1080 into a slim laptop is probably an engineering impossibility (for the near future) simply because of the heat issues - and recent macs have had their fair share of heat-related problems!

Of course the real answer for most users is to do the serious grading/fx heavy-lifting in a proper workstation, where you have the space and resources to use power-hungry GPUs. This is a problem for Mac users with the current Apple product range, so it's understandable that users have turned to remote GPUs to boost performance.

Companies like Blackmagic and Adobe are relying on GPU processing to increase the performance of their software and the demand for real-time performance with ever-increasing frame sizes. If the Avid engineers can achieve this without resorting to using GPU processing then fine - otherwise I would suggest the policy of not supporting eGPUs is going to leave Media Composer lagging further behind the competition.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:17 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,210
    • Points 14,650

The answer would not come from specifically supporting eGPU, but from better GPU support. eGPU would just benefit from it. Since the beginning, Avid has been mainly CPU driven and it's only lately that a timid GPU support has made its way into the software. As GPUs are becoming more and more powerfull -whereas CPU have reached their limits and are plateauing- it would be great to see Avid let them do the heavy lifting. But it implies a deep rewrite of MC's foundations, and I don't know if Avid has the desire (and the means) to do it.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:37 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 523
    • Points 6,635

pierreh:
    But it implies a deep rewrite of MC's foundations, and I don't know if Avid has the desire (and the means) to do it.

True, but some of the newer AVX plugins (eg. Boris effects and Baslight Editions) do use the GPU, so having the ability to add an eGPU box to a laptop would be useful.

What I don't know is whether these AVX plugins are reliant on the MC code to access the GPU - in which case I'm guessing they also won't be able to 'see' the external GPU.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 12:53 PM In reply to

My sentiments exactly (thanks for the brush off, Avid).

I took a look last night after getting my eGPU hooked up, and it would appear that BCC/Sapphire for Avid does not benefit from the eGPU at all. I have not tried to run any Mocha tracking within Mocha's standalone app (but I would assume that based on the tweaks made in 2016, I will see a marked improvement in performance with an eGPU).

Now granted, I am super new to Avid's platform (<1-month on it) and I love the clustered windows and functionality over the other NLE's out there, but to be fair, I think we do need to see some significant updates under the hood to take advantage of the current state of computing (especially for us Mac users as Bruno outlined above in his posts).

I would also venture to say that Avid's shift from a high-price point, pro-level software offering to the much more accessible (and primary reason I picked it up) subscription offering would be a very good time to think about the fact that users with a wide variety of different computing setups will now be running MC/Pro Tools etc and expect to be supported and see excellent performance.

I shouldn't have to invest in a bleeding edge rig to see the performance I would expect from an NLE in 2018 at a price as little as $19.99/month. That's incredibly imbalanced.

I see you smirking over there, BMD and FCPX.

MacBook Pro 15" (2018), Intel i9 @ 2.9GHz, 32gb DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, Sonnet eGFX eGPU w/ AMD Radeon Pro WX7100... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 1:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,890
    • Points 214,125
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Benjamin

It wasnt a brush off.... it was the truth. There are a ton of thigs coming in the next 6 months that have been asked for - for a long time.  I have however sent this along to the Product Team in hopes that they will consider this for the future.  Updates under the hood are significant in coding and the last time it wasnt insignificant with the player engine.  I am not dissing this at all but just setting expectations and will make sure that the team knows this is a big ask.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 26 2018 7:46 PM In reply to

Marianna, I didn't mean to come off strong on that, so I apologize.Big Smile

I understand it is a big ask and your 2nd reply is more informative in that sense.

Thanks again!

• Thu, Apr 26 2018 8:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,890
    • Points 214,125
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

B

No need to apologize.... but I would rather give you the truth up front than lead anyone on....  Kind of been my mantra for years and served me well.  :)

have a good weekend.  Ping me in a months time and I will recheck with the team again to see if there has been any movement on this at all.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 3:29 PM In reply to

Thanks and you too!

I appreciate the honesty and I hope DEV can work this into a release soon.

Those of us wed to that laptop life would really appreciate the horsepower an eGPU provides. 

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 5:04 PM In reply to

• mbmpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 13 2006
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Posts 44
    • Points 545

I have't done any real metrics, but I bought a box from Other World Coomputing, put in a 4GB nvidia card hooked up to 2012 laptop running Sierra, followed some instructions on setting up eGPU from the interwebs. Restarted, hooked in a secondary monitor to the OWC box and launched MC. I opened the video preview settings and there it was. It may have been psycho-somatic, but things appeared to work just a bit faster esp. exports. Total cost was about $400. The secondary monitor hookup was the key, because with out it, the MC didn't register it in the video preview setting window.

I will try some testing on it at some point to see if it has any real effect besides in my mind. Big Smile

FWIW...

3.7 Quad core Xeon E5 trashcan 32GB ram. Sierra OS. 10Gb san link 2. Qnap shared storage. MC 2018.8 symphony option. 2012 15-in macbook pro 16GB ram. OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 27 2018 5:47 PM In reply to

I think that's the trick.

From what I have read, MC looks to the display GPU which in the case of your external monitor would be the card you have in the OWC box.

I am running a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway box that only has 1 TB3 which is needed to augment my MBP.

I have considered hooking up my monitors to the eGPU card DisplayPort 1.4 ports, but I will need to test if that works as so far I have found the LG UltraFine 22" monitors to be pretty inflexible in their connectivity.

I have them each plugged into an Elgato TB3 Dock and I tried to hook them up to the DisplayPort out on each dock, but the monitors would not wake for any connection other than TB3. 

If I can get this Frankenstein up and running I will be a super happy camper though!

• Sun, Apr 29 2018 8:56 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 523
    • Points 6,635

Just to hammer home the advantages of an external GPU box, take a look at this Youtube video using Davinci Resolve on a Macbook and iMac Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnT3XFbyKk

• Sun, Apr 29 2018 10:50 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 251
    • Points 3,355

:) eGpu Works !

MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.10 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU 980ti; ATTO NT11;Baselight plug... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:16 PM In reply to

• Vili L
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 4 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

So a support update has been released? Thinking of getting the new Blackmagic eGPU to help with Pro Tools Ultimate video playback

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller