Latest post Mon, Jun 11 2018 3:29 PM by Marianna. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 23 2018 6:25 PM

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 46
    • Points 510

Three passes to "publish" to local drive?

Why does it take three passes - almost two hours even in "Faster" mode - to export 38 minutes of SD material?  The first and third passes were better than 30 minutes and the second was about an hour.  This is the slowest I've seen on any MC product.

Is it just me?  It's my home system running an AMD quad core @4GHz, 32G of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 570.  Cuts and dissolves.  A little EQ on some clips.  The CC was already rendered.

Media Composer v2018.1 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 23 2018 6:53 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,791
    • Points 212,725
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Three passes to "publish" to local drive?

Rick

Are you actually successfully publishing or does it make you force quit.    Also what format and codecs are being used.

What was the size and video/audio or video only?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 23 2018 8:35 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 46
    • Points 510

The exports were successful.  I did it once "Faster" and once, overnight, at "Best", with no other issues than the (lack of) speed.  It was an SD project, video and audio, output as SD, as an h.264 .mov file.  I think those are the only options available in SD.

The project has three video tracks - a base layer on V1, a couple of B-roll stills and short clips on V2 and lower thirds on V3.  V1 had CC, but it was all rendered before the export began. Two audio tracks as L and R, some clips had as close to a notch filter as I could come to with the Audio EQ tool.

Media Composer v2018.1 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 4:18 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 46
    • Points 510

Almost to a final version, everything rendered and now taking four passes and 2hrs 30 min or so to export a 38 minute SD sequence.

And, now I am getting reports from my full MC users of three and four passes to complete an export.

What is happening?

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 6:18 PM In reply to

Do to equipment failure, I now have a GTX 1050 based graphics card in my computer.  Haven't tried exporting, but tried a sequencial-still-to-media-file import and, after more than two hours and I don't know how many passes, my 300-plus stills (4752 by 3168 jpgs from a T1i) are still not done. 

What subsystem is being used for import and export? Used to be Quicktime, with all those headaches, but at least it worked if the version was right.

Any idea why export - and some imports - take SOOOOO long for what should be an easy job?

EDIT: Well, it took from 11:50AM Thursday to 5:55AM Friday.  It imported each frame individually, plus a "video" clip of the first still, one for the first and second, one for the first, second and third..., until the last one that had a frame for each still.  That's why it took so long.

Operator error?

My home system: Home built: Asus F2 A85-M Pro motherboard; AMD A10-5800K APU; 32G RAM; Windows 10 Pro; NVidia GeForce GTX 1050. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2018 10:55 AM In reply to

Updated to 2018.5 but publishing to h264 still took 4 hours for a 29 minute program, but this time th eproject was at 720p, so I had the option to export as DNxHD.  That only took 40 minutes.  Transcoded to h264 externally, with noise reduction and sharpening (sourced from 40 year old U-Matic SD) took 1 hour and 40min.

I guess this will be my workflow from now on.

My home system: Home built: Asus F2 A85-M Pro motherboard; AMD A10-5800K APU; 32G RAM; Windows 10 Pro; NVidia GeForce GTX 1050. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2018 12:52 PM In reply to

The answer that has applied for many, many years still applies - Avid is unfortunately a terrible H.264 encoder.  Make sure there's no AMA/linked material in the sequence, render everything, output a QuickTime Reference, then bring that tiny MOV reference file into a third-party encoder to create your H.264.

Yes, it's an unintuitive multi-step process that almost requires a user to write a book when telling someone else how to export (if there's AMA media, then X.  If there's long-GOP media like XDCam, then Y.  If you're on a Mac, then Z... etc.).  Yes, it takes a long time.  But it's still faster than letting MC do the H.264 encode.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2018 11:41 AM In reply to

Agreed.  But, MC used to be better.  Ver 5.5 and 7 are the ones I have had the most experience with and an h264 mov could be created in double time or less, even with double cores and modest memory.  When we updated our labs to iMacs and 2018.x, export time when way up.  And, MC First on my PC at home is just as slow. But, with MC First, there are only two export format options in HD and only one very slow choice in SD.

So, regardless of source format, I'll do an HD project and up-res my media.  It front-loads my processing, but still saves time.

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 12:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,791
    • Points 212,725
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rick

Love to know the spec's of the iMac and what OS you were using so I can discuss the speed issues with engineering.  Can you send me your specifications, OS, graphics card, etc...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 12:41 PM In reply to

Marianna,

Thanks for the intervention.  We're running v2018.1 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs purchased in late 2017, with 16GB RAM and running High Sierra plus (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro 600 graphics running Windows 7 Pro/ 64bit.  I don't have any more information handy, as I am out of the office this week and next.

The PC had been running version 7 and were much quicker than they are now.  At first I was chalking it up to user error, given our mostly-student users, but when faculty who have been using Avid for decades started to comment on the multiple passes and long time estimates, I figured something must have changed.

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 3:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,791
    • Points 212,725
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rick,

Can you ping me when you get back so we can get a case going and look at this?  Or if you have someone else at the office that can be the contact during your time away that would work too.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller