Latest post Thu, Aug 30 2018 4:57 PM by fropdaddy. 16 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 16 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

Re: i9 vs Threadripper (Intel vs AMD) plus some test results

My experience with MC on Threadripper differs from project to project, but in general I would not recommend it. With DNxHD/HR it runs quite smooth, especially 1080p (but of course, any cheap PC will handle this). But I notice the different between "quite smooth" and "really fast" as soon as I fire up Premiere, which is a lot faster (in playback) and more responsive (the UI/timeline) than MC on Threadripper. This week I tried to edit a music video, and MC fell flat on its face when I tried to combine multiple clips of QT Animation @ 4K DCI res in one frame (cropped and scaled). It's a pretty extreme example, but when I tried the same thing in Premiere it was no problem at all.

Sure, Threadripper is not supported by Avid, but I have a feeling that MC's playback engine is just outdated and in need of a rewrite, to work better with modern hardware. I think they're working on that (I remember reading something about it in an article about the UI-panel last April), but it might be years away, who knows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core 3.4GHz GPU: GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11G MB: Gigabyte X399 Designare EX RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 30 2018 4:57 PM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Re: i9 vs Threadripper (Intel vs AMD) plus some test results

Walter Johan:
    This week I tried to edit a music video, and MC fell flat on its face when I tried to combine multiple clips of QT Animation @ 4K DCI res in one frame (cropped and scaled). It's a pretty extreme example, but when I tried the same thing in Premiere it was no problem at all.

I wonder if you weren't using QT Animation if it would perform better due to the way that QT is supported (or not) on PC.

Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller