Latest post Thu, Aug 30 2018 4:57 PM by fropdaddy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 14 2018 12:04 AM

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

i9 vs Threadripper (Intel vs AMD) plus some test results

Is anyone running Threadripper with Media Composer?

I recently was able to run a transcode test with Media Composer 2018.3 on an i9-7900X processor, an i7 iMac 18,3, and a Threadripper 1950 using 4K UHD footage shot on a Cannon C300 Mark II transcoding it to DNX36.

Results:

iMac 1.1 x faster than real time (however didn't run the test long enough to hit the thermal throttling that we know we will hit)

i9 system 2.61 x faster than real time to transcode (around 91% CPU usage)

Threadripper system 4.29 x faster than real time to transcode (around 91% CPU usage)

I am looking at getting a system that we would like to use for Media Composer.  At NAB, AMD had a Threadripper system running Media Composer and the demo was running smoothly at high res (of course a demo would run smoothly).  I am debating on getting something just for transcoding and then as a render station for our graphics team which would mean that the system would get minimal usage, or get a system for either an AE or an Editor that would be used for transcoding when we get footage in and then for editorial the rest of the time.

Is anyone using a Threadripper or i9?

I'd love to hear about it.

• Sat, Apr 14 2018 9:37 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 440
    • Points 5,185

Re: i9 vs Threadripper (Intel vs AMD) plus some test results

I remember only one guy on this forum doing test on AMD last fall. Can't find the thread now.

Said playback was stuttering. I wasn't entirely confident it was CPU/chipset related.

I'd say using threadripper for transcoding machine is smart as well as safe.

I'm gonna get the xeon flavor of your i9 wehenever it becomes available.

if it ever does. Current gen intel xeon is total vaporware.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 14 2018 1:16 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 511
    • Points 6,485

fropdaddy:

Is anyone using a Threadripper or i9?

I'd love to hear about it.

If you're curious about tests on software beyond MC, you may want to take a look at some of Puget Systems' articles where they test various combinations of hardware with Resolve, After Effects etc.

Makes interesting reading.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2018-CPU-Comparison-Intel-8th-Gen-vs-X-series-vs-Ryzen-vs-Threadripper-1123/

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 14 2018 11:53 PM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

I love following Puget's postings.  I talked to them on Wednesday at NAB and mentioned that I'd love to see tests with Media Composer.  They said that after being at the show they were definitely going to do that (though I don't know that I could hold them to that). I know they thry to give a good report on the whole of the system and how it works with applications.  Granted my first priority would be to have a killer transcode system, but if it does that well, then there is a good chance that it could handle offline easily.

I am having a friend do some tests on the i7-8700K this weekend and should have numbers on Monday.

I talked to someone who works for Avid and he said he would ask the engineers where things were with AMD as it sounded like they were doing some work on it.

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 12:15 AM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

I remember that thread as well.

I did find this thread which I hadn't seen before when looking for the other one:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/183853/854944.aspx#854944

Too bad I have to buy or build something in the next month or so.  The new Threadrippers should be out in about 3 months.

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 10:00 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 511
    • Points 6,485

fropdaddy:
    Too bad I have to buy or build something in the next month or so.

You might want to consider the new Gigabyte X299 Designare EX motherboard as it's the only one I know that's got built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports (on USB type C connectors). This will mean you'll have to go with Intel Core X CPUs.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 15 2018 1:30 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 440
    • Points 5,185

fropdaddy:

Too bad I have to buy or build something in the next month or so. 

new threadrippers should be only a modest improvement.

New ryzens are out now, threadrippers will get same upgrades i recon.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:36 AM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

The i7-8700K did the transcode test at 1.36 times faster than realtime.

• Tue, May 8 2018 12:16 AM In reply to

Hey, I'm a few weeks late, but I just found this thread while searching for solutions to my threadripper problems.  the main one seems to echo the thread above: playback stuttering.  It feels exactly like trying to playback uncompressed media from a thumbdrive.

I'm not sure what else to try to solve the problem, I can't find any information on what might be different on this platform vs intel. but for sure the problem is still here.  If I had it to do over I would definately go with an intel platform.

I will say that ingesting media seems to go very quickly.

• Wed, May 9 2018 5:46 AM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

What video card are you running on your system?

I know that the demo system that they were running at the AMD booth at NAB had a high end one.

• Thu, May 10 2018 1:01 AM In reply to

1080ti from EVGA.  My playback is about 4 frames per second.  I moved the media and project to an external drive and a 10 year old intel system runs it just fine.  I contacted avid and they said they don't support the Ryzen platform, which normally I take to mean 'yeah it works but we don't troubleshoot', but in this case it means it just doesnt work.  That's on me for not exploring more when I built this system, but it's still a kick in the gut (and wallet) because I really want to use it.  My choice is to sell it, sideline it until avid updates compatability, or switch to a competator until avid updates compatability.

• Thu, May 10 2018 1:22 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,312
    • Points 53,310

Odd ~my older AMD FX 8 core runs great...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, May 10 2018 9:18 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austria
    • Posts 440
    • Points 5,185

TVJohn:

Odd ~my older AMD FX 8 core runs great...

my first dual opteron did as well. in 2003 ;)

a pitty though, would love myself a threadripper as secondary system.

• Fri, May 11 2018 4:47 AM In reply to

• fropdaddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

I haven't been able to work with it much, but I did get my system built with the i9 10 core processor.

I have a blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k card which feeds a UHD monitor that seems to be working well and the transcodes are running well.

I did see about editing C300 Mark II straight from the camera masters and it ran faster and was more responsive than running on our Cheesegrater MacPro 5,1 systems, even though the PC is running on a 10 year old video card.  I'm waiting for the current card prices to drop...

• Wed, Aug 15 2018 9:45 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 306
    • Points 4,030

I tested a ryzen cpu when it first came out and posted about poor playback.

I wish Avid would work on 32core Threadripper support.

i cant imagine how fast an ama export would be w 32 cores (with no drive bottlenecks).

diy 14 core x299 7940x, asus strix x299-e gaming, w10 (1703) mc 2018.9, 128gb ram [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller