Latest post Thu, Jun 21 2018 2:02 PM by BobRusso. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 11:15 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 379
    • Points 4,880

MC Standard no longer usable with Nexis?

Am I reading the FAQ right that I have to upgrade all of my licenses to Media Composer Ultimate to share projects with on existing Nexis Enterprise system?  This can't be right?  I have 20 seats and would now have to pay an additional $4000/year to keep them under support.  I don't need any new features but our projects must be shared.

Is this right?

thanks.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:07 AM In reply to

Re: MC Standard no longer usable with Nexis?

What licenses do you currently have? Subscriptions (rentals) or Perpetual licenses (bought)? For the latter, nothing changes. For the former, there is now a cheaper option that does not support shared storage, in addition to the current option, that is now renamed Ultimate.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:09 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 379
    • Points 4,880

I have perpetual licenses but am pretty sure I was paying $300/year to keep them up to date. Will keeping the Nexis Ultimate go up to the $500/year per license? That's what I thought I read. Thank you.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 13 2018 8:48 PM In reply to

cable:

I have perpetual licenses but am pretty sure I was paying $300/year to keep them up to date. Will keeping the Nexis Ultimate go up to the $500/year per license? That's what I thought I read. Thank you.

The annual support renewal for perpetual licenses remains unchanged. Same functionality remains included. Nothing changes.

The 200/500 offering concerns subscriptions (rentals).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 4:49 PM In reply to

• Obscure
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2018
    • Posts 21
    • Points 285

Out of curiosity, what happens if a project is started in a non-ultimate MC system but then needs to move into a NEXIS environment?

Can I just plug-in an ultimate dongle/license key and then run the project from NEXIS, or do I have to start the project in Ultimate from scratch?

A real-world scenerio would be an offline editor working from home (standalone Media Composer license) who then needs to move to a facility for finishing (using NEXIS/Ultimate)

Thanks in Advance!

• Thu, Jun 21 2018 2:02 PM In reply to

Media Composer Perpetual and Ultimate are the same software with the exception of NewCutter, PF, SS and Symphony are bundled with Ultimate where they are separate for Perpetual.

Both versions will work with NEXIS.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller