Latest post Mon, Apr 23 2018 6:10 PM by Marianna. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 12:46 PM

• iCroissant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 12 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Misleading Price Description

https://i.imgur.com/f7uksPb.jpg

I think this is the most misleading product pricing I've ever seen. This $240 plan (which a college student like me cannot afford whatsoever) is written in the most confusing way possible and I think it was totally purposeful! (I think this because there is no way to cancel! Not even before downloading! I've never used a service with no way to cancel a subscription unless it was very obviously a scam).

I demand a refund. I can't afford being charged $19.99 a month for a (and I quote) "$19.99 Media Composer 1 Year Subscription", a promise extremely misleading and confusingly written.

Honestly, if your intent is to mislead your customers into paying you money and then locking them into deals they cannot escape until their bank is drained dry and their bank fees them out of their career I don't ever want to use ANY of your other products, much less recommend you to anyone. I'd be obliged to do quite the opposite in fact. Cancel my subscription and refund me.

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 4:19 PM In reply to

Re: Misleading Price Description

Hi.

While I see your point, I do not agree with it and/or your argumentation. Yes option 1 can be misinterpreted by itself but $60,- savings and the other subscription options indicate the correct meaning of the 1st option. Anyway... Be aware that you should be entitled to a full refund within 30 days after purchase. I assume you are within that time frame and I expect Avid to respect your wishes.

That said, Avid also has a free version of Media composer, Media composer First, but I do not know if that works for you.

But your point made me check something. As Media composer has a 'Avid for eduction' license option:

http://www.avid.com/avid-for-education/students#How-to-Buy

and I was wondering if Avid offers a educational subscription license model with a viable price point for students like you which they don't at this moment in time. Only for protools.

Why Avid? If it can be done for Protools, why not also for Media Composer?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 6:53 PM In reply to

But that does exist, Jeroen.

https://www.videoguys.com/avid-media-composer-academic-versions.html, but also on the page you refer to: http://www.avid.com/avid-for-education/students#show-1, where, if you click on the word Media Composer, it says: Media conposer Ultimate Academic Subscription for 9.99 USD/month. Also a link to the store: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&isCSRFlow=true&sku=DYNA23456&cclcl=nl_NL

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 15 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

Hi Job,

Interesting.

It writes:

Avid Media Composer | Software 1 Year Student Subscription $119.88

Out of stock

SKU: MCSUBSTUD MPN: 9935-65755-00 MSRP: $119.88 12 In Stock . From the price and 'out of stock' status blocking order (while 12 are listed as 'in stock') it looks obvious to me something is wrong. The year price also does not allow for monthly payments of $11,98 per month. I will have a look in the Avid store again if an 'updated' equal exists but I do not remember seeing one.
    From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 7:17 PM In reply to

Ah I see where the problem lies:

The correct link is:

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&cartID=&sku=DYNA23456&isCSRFlow=true&portalUser=&store=&cclcl=en_US&

But I got there by selecting Get it here. inside the 

Want to buy a new perpetual license for Media Composer? This license includes all the same collaborative workflows and MediaCentral integration of the new Media Composer | Ultimate, but without the added software options. Get it here.

Text.

That's not intuitive... if not simply wrong.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 7:21 PM In reply to

Again, my edited post used your original link, in which you can click to show Media Composer, which then shows direct links to MC Ultimate Academic in the Avid Store for 9.99 USD/mo.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 15 2018 7:23 PM In reply to

We are both updating our posts with the correct info...Stick out tongue

Anyway... access to the educational license program could be made easier in the web store.

iCroissant, please check the links Job and I mention above and contact Avid to ask for the refund and if you wish change it to the $9,99/month version. If you encounter any problem I suggest to directly contact Marianna Montague by mail marianna.montague@avid.com and friendly ask her if she can assist. 

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 15 2018 7:37 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Again, my edited post used your original link, in which you can click to show Media Composer, which then shows direct links to MC Ultimate Academic in the Avid Store for 9.99 USD/mo.

Yes I see that too.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:36 AM In reply to

• iCroissant
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thank you, that is extremely helpful. I will be sure to do that and will take a look at that version, too. I genuinely want the product, I just can't afford it at the rate I am locked into.

• Wed, Apr 18 2018 5:38 PM In reply to

• iCroissant
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hello,

I did what you suggested. They did not respect my wishes.

Apparently I am not entitled to a refund or cancellation of any kind (why? Why not be like every other product and company on earth to provide good customer service?)

Essentially, they did what banks do to scam people. They told me to read a 4 page terms and conditions in which an agreement was hidden that there were no refunds or subscription cancellations, and a full description of the $20 a month deal was listed.

Why do I say hidden? Because the info was not on the first page. I read the first page. The terms and conditions is usually intended for courts and most companies not looking to scam their customers will clearly summarize the deal in the product description on a previous page. They did not. They never warned of the cancellation policy and their only description of anything in the terms and conditions is the poorly written deal summary above.

Again, if this were not a scam, why wouldn't avid allow refunds? Why is their deal description so poorly written? Why isn't their cancelation policy listed anywhere before the terms and conditions?

• Sat, Apr 21 2018 5:58 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    If you encounter any problem I suggest to directly contact Marianna Montague by mail marianna.montague@avid.com and friendly ask her if she can assist. 
    iCroissant:
    I did what you suggested. They did not respect my wishes.

You got in contact with Marianna?

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Apr 23 2018 6:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,687
    • Points 211,435
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Please email me

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller