Latest post Thu, Apr 12 2018 9:11 PM by Telegram!. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 5:51 AM

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Per track effects/transitions without effecting layers below

Sorry if this has already been requested, but I didn't see it anywhere after searching...

I come across this situation occasionally: multiple video layers stacked each with visibility of one or more layers below; I want to apply an effect to the topmost layer ONLY and/or I want to transition between two clips on the upper layer (or middle layer for that matter) without the transition affecting the other layers.

For example: I have a chroma-key element on V2 with a background on V1. I want to apply a swish pan transition to another chroma-keyed element on V2, but have the swish pan only affect the keyed elements. Currently, the entire raster will be affected by the swish pan, so the background blurs out as well.

I've tried nesting, stepping into effects, and collapsing clips on tracks and none of it works. Filters & transitions seem to disregard the alpha channel of the clip they are being applied to.

Long ago I could get around this somewhat with either Boris Red or maybe it was even Boris FX, which had a multi-layer filter so that you could bring several layers from Avid into Boris and then apply effects discretely, but that doesn't seem to be around anymore (plus it's a bit cumbersome).

Boris has gotten around this with titles by hijacking/incorporating the title-matte effect, but it only works with titles, not video.

MacOS 10.13.4, Media Composer 2018 w/ Symphony option, dual 3.46GHz 6-core 5.1 Mac Pro, 24GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Nitris DX, SSD system drive, 2-drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 4:14 PM In reply to

Re: Per track effects/transitions without effecting layers below

gstrudler:
    For example: I have a chroma-key element on V2 with a background on V1. I want to apply a swish pan transition to another chroma-keyed element on V2, but have the swish pan only affect the keyed elements. Currently, the entire raster will be affected by the swish pan, so the background blurs out as well.

You have a good request, +1.

FYI, it is possible to do what you describe, in a non-intutive way, and here's how:

Add a V3 Track and Move your V2 stuff- the two ChromaKey-able clips with tranistion effect between them- up to V3.

On V2, add a Solid color clip underneath. ( Easily made using Title Tool where you can pick any color background and Export as a Pict file) I made a Blue and also a Green Pict, and imported them.

Highlight the clips on V3 and V2 and press COLLAPSE* icon, which will nest them both onto V2.

Drag, but do not Alt+drag the Blend/3D Warp effect onto V2.

Go to Foreground and dial in SpectraMatte Key in the pulldown menu, and use color picker to get your Color Pict's value, tweaking in SpectraMatte if necessary.

I was then able to do a Push Transition FX bewteen two chromakey clips without any adverse change to background on V1.

I used SpectraMatte Key both times-- on the initial chroma key, and again after Collapsing.

Try it, and good luck!

* Sometimes I save a pre-Collapse version of my sequence, just to have a back-up.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 6:34 PM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Ah, interesting; I hadn't thought about collapsing multiple tracks. Pain of a process, but at least it's a workaround. Thanks for sharing!

MacOS 10.13.4, Media Composer 2018 w/ Symphony option, dual 3.46GHz 6-core 5.1 Mac Pro, 24GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Nitris DX, SSD system drive, 2-drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 9:11 PM In reply to

gstrudler:

Ah, interesting; I hadn't thought about collapsing multiple tracks. Pain of a process, but at least it's a workaround. Thanks for sharing!

you’re welcome, glad to help. Not sure it’s the only way, either.

More about this MC layer workaround here: 

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184062.aspx

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller