Latest post Thu, Apr 12 2018 10:57 PM by AndrewAction. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 11 2018 10:08 PM

License Error After Updating to Current Version

I updated from Ver. 8.6 to 2018.4 and the installion and activation mostly went well.   However, after shuttng down my computer after an edit session, then next time I reboot and start MC, I get the following error:

When I push OK, MC continues to load but this is annoying, as I get a subsequent message (flashed to quickly to get a screen grab) that some audio items cannot be installed.

I keep my Avid workstation offline except when activating/deactivating, downloading updates & drivers, etc.   Does this mean I have to plug the computer back online everytime I boot up MC?

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 10:10 PM In reply to

Re: License Error After Updating to Current Version

I just remembered there is an old iLok license manager on my desktop that installed a long time ago when I got an MBox.   Could this be causing the problem and can I safely delete this?

EDIT: I checked the properties on this iLok and it was created at the time I did the MC upgrade, so it apparently it is not from an old install.   Now I'm scratching my head...Confused

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 12:50 AM In reply to

If you had quit MC, taken a sip of your favourite brew, given your assistant editor an affectionate pat on the head and then restarted MC you would probably see it start with no errors.    (given your computer time to load a pace driver) 
    Alternative one. Wait a couple of minutes after rebooting before opening MC.
    Alternative two assuming you have an iLok key.  Start MC without the iLok plugged in. At the error message plug in the iLok then hold your breath whilst putting on a hat (to avoid scratching your head).  MC could very well then continue opening without any errors.  Wink    

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 1:42 PM In reply to

I booted up my computer this morning and started MC.  I got the iLok error, clicked okay, and it continued installation after flashing a message that it was unable to load audio plug-in's and the Audio Suite would not be available.  Sure enough, I opened a project and the Audio Suite was greyed out.  I exited MC and restarted the program.  This time, no iLok warning and the Audio Suite is there.  

Interestingly, when watching the messages flash across the screen during boot up, it would initialize plug-ins (like BCC) and then "re-load" those plug-ins.  I never noticed this before. (Then again, I never pay attention when Avid is loading except after a crash or a new installation when I hold me breath, so maybe it always did this...)

Can someone from Avid tech support please tell me how to fix this?  

Thanks.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 1:44 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    restarted MC you would probably see it start with no errors.    (given your computer time to load a pace driver) 

This morning, I booted up up my computer and then brewed a fresh cup of coffee before starting up MC for the first time and still got the iLok error the first time MC tried to load.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 15,685
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Terry,

You need to make sure the Windows "PACE License Service" is running in the Service.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 3:01 PM In reply to

RalphC:

You need to make sure the Windows "PACE License Service" is running in the Service.

Hi Ralph,

How do I do that?  Before this upgrade, I never heard of the PACE License Service.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 5:39 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 15,685
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Terry,

Depending on your Windows OS, type in service in the Run/search then look for the PACE License service set it to Automatic.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 7:01 PM In reply to

RalphC:
    Depending on your Windows OS, type in service in the Run/search then look for the PACE License service

Seach results display "PACE Anti-Piracy" in a bunch of different folders and locations.  Clicking on any of these folders leads to a bunch more folders.    But there is nothing that says PACE License Service.  Am I looking for an .exe file?

Can you please send a quick and easy link where I can make this change.  

RalphC:
    set it to Automatic.

Shouldn't this have been done automatically when I installed the lastest version of MC?

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 7:15 PM In reply to

I just went through every one of these search results and found an .exe called LDSvs.exe under "PACE\Services\LicenseServices  However, when I try to run it, it flashes a black pop up window for a fraction of of second and then disappears.  

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 7:37 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 15,685
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Open Control panel>Administrative tool>Services>.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 9:08 PM In reply to

Attached image shows Pace Service from my W7 Control Panel / System and Secrurity page

FWIW Installing Avid updates has not changed this setting for me in the last couple of years.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 10:21 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Installing Avid updates has not changed this setting for me in the last couple of years.

Thanks, guys.  Problem solved!!!!!

Andrew, what's interesting is that my system was also set to Automatic (delayed start) as shown in your screenshot.  As Ralph recommended, I changed this to Automatic and it solved the problem.  For whatever reason, "delayed start" caused the iLok problem this time, but apparently did not cause a problem previously.

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 10:57 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:
    For whatever reason, "delayed start" caused the iLok problem this time, but apparently did not cause a problem previously.
    FWIW I have a feeling that 2018.4 opens more rapidly than the last few updates.   
    The iLok system has also had several changes over the last 6 months. FWIW I had your error during the first MC Load that followed the required PC reboot after the latest MC update install.  I have not seen it since then. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller