Latest post Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:12 AM by Job ter Burg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:53 AM

Bin saves times are ridiculous...

I cannot believe how long it takes and how inefficiently Avid saves large bins.

On a Z820 with 24GB RAM and 2 x 6 core 2.67GHz Xeons, MC 8.8.2, I'm waiting in excess of seven minutes for a 250MB bin to save.  Why is it taking this long? I literally opened the bin, loaded the sequence to check it, made ZERO changes and then closed it again, prompting Avid to begin a massive save.  There shouldn't be any save happening as I have done nothing to the contents of the bin other than open and close it.  Avid should be smart enough to know this.  At the very least this should be happening in the background, it's killing productivity.  It's 2018 Avid - BACKGROUND SAVE! 

Are others also finding this? Huge bin save times for large-ish bins? And I don't mean large sequences, I mean a 15-ish minute sequence (part 1 of a 4 part programme) that is effects heavy (lots of Boris).  Photoshop will routinely save complex files this big in seconds, why is it taking Avid so long?

Can others confirm this or is it just me?

Andi

HP Z400 Quad core 2.66 GHz Nvidia Geforce GTS250 1GB 16GB RAM 128GB SSD boot drive M Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard 2x KRK Rokit RPG2 powered monitors... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 11 2018 4:10 AM In reply to

Re: Bin saves times are ridiculous...

Out of interest I would open your Sequences  bin's Hamburger menu and check "Set bin display"  Then check "Precompute Clips - Rendered effects" and "Precompute clips -Titles  Matte Keys" 
    Then create a new bin. Name it appropriately. Drag all the precomputes to this new bin.

Does this makes a significant difference?

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:12 AM In reply to

Re: Bin saves times are ridiculous...

Have you checked the size of your Attic?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller