Latest post Thu, Jun 7 2018 9:33 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 10 2018 11:21 AM

MC/Symph Perpetual - Want to keep shared projects. Now what?

This new licensing has me a bit confused.

I have two MC perpetual licenses (one dongle, one software) on a home setup, both with Symphony.  At my normal workplace, there are three MC perpetual dongles, all with Symphony.  All are making use of shared projects within their own environments - on third-party storage solutions.

I just want to make sure I read this properly.  From the FAQ:

Can I still buy a Media Composer perpetual license or will I need to transition to a subscription?

A: Yes, we will continue to offer Media Composer perpetual licenses, as well as 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan renewals (previously known as Annual Upgrade and Support Plan renewals). This software provides all of the same collaborative workflows of Media Composer | Ultimate, but does not include the software add-ons. If you’d rather convert your Media Composer perpetual license to a Media Composer | Ultimate subscription license, we offer options to do this too.

So - this means - all those licenses can stay perpetual, we can keep getting support renewals currently at roughly $299USD, we keep shared project functionality, they do NOT come with PhraseFind/ScriptSync, but we can optionally add those on per license - all correct?

Just want to make sure we're not losing features during our existing support, or getting hammered with a nearly double-cost renewal in order to keep our existing feature set in a year.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 10 2018 3:11 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,660
    • Points 18,240
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC/Symph Perpetual - Want to keep shared projects. Now what?

Hi usatraveler,

If you have MC perpetual.

Q:  I own Media Composer—what happens to my license?
    A:  If you own a Media Composer perpetual license, you will not see a change to your product or pricing (though you will technically own the same feature set as the new Media Composer | Ultimate, the product name for the Media Composer perpetual license is not changing). You can continue to renew your 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan (formerly known as an Annual Upgrade and Support Plan) for the foreseeable future. Alternatively, if you want to crossgrade to the Ultimate version, you can, however your license will become a subscription and cannot transition back to a perpetual license.

Support packages continue to be the same for Symphony and Media Composer, you continue to receive upgrades and the renewal price is still $299/yr. PF and SS will be available as subscriptions only, Whether you own a Media Composer perpetual license or subscribe to the new Media Composer software, you will be able to purchase subscriptions for any of these options to use with Media Composer.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 4:46 AM In reply to

• jray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2011
    • Posts 57
    • Points 710

Is it still the case that if you let your support plan lapse that you cannot renew it at a later date without purchasing a perpetual license again at full price?

If that is the case and I choose to let my support plan lapse and then use the Media Composer subscription (not ultimate) as needed can I still use the symphony option that I own with the subscription, or would I have to subscribe to ultimate to get the symphony functionality that I now own?

Avid MC 8.5.3 with Symphony, Mac Pro 2009, OS 10.10.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 7 2018 8:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,787
    • Points 212,685
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

No that is not the case.

You can purchase a Media Composer | Ultimate Subscription Crossgrade at any time.

Crossgrades are available for software node locked, Dongle, and Floating perpetual licenses.

The first year of subscription (the initial crossgrade) is offered at a discounted price ($399.99/year or $39.99/month USD vs $499.99/year or $49.99/month USD); each year after that is available at the normal subscription renewal price.

This is what is important if you let you perptual expire.......   Crossgrades can also be purchased for perpetual licenses that are no longer on an active Software Updates + Support Plan (previously known as Annual Upgrade and Support Plan).

Yes you can still use the Symphony Option on either you go with as you own that option.  So if you opt to stay on perpetual, you can use the Symphony Option.  If you opt to move to a subscription, then you can use your Option. If you decide to not do wither and remain at the version you have now - you can still use it.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 9:21 PM In reply to

• jray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2011
    • Posts 57
    • Points 710

Thank you, that's very helpful. One thing I'm still unclear about though, if I let my current support plan with my perpetual license lapse and a year from now I decide that I want to upgrade (not use the subscription, but continue with perpetual) can I simply get a new support plan for $299 and receive updates for another year?

Avid MC 8.5.3 with Symphony, Mac Pro 2009, OS 10.10.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 7 2018 9:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,787
    • Points 212,685
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jray:

Thank you, that's very helpful. One thing I'm still unclear about though, if I let my current support plan with my perpetual license lapse and a year from now I decide that I want to upgrade (not use the subscription, but continue with perpetual) can I simply get a new support plan for $299 and receive updates for another year?

No but you can crossgrade it to a MC Ultimate subscription.  Reinstatements of existing licenses are no longer offered.  So thats your only option.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller