Latest post Tue, Apr 10 2018 6:48 AM by Job ter Burg. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 7 2018 11:17 PM

ProRes 4444 Export for Color - Transcode Workflow

Hi all! I'm in the process of conforming files in Avid prior to delivery to our colorist.  I'm new to the process, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Editing in MC 8.9.3

I've re-linked our sequence(s) to the MXF Source Files and I'm trying to export full resolution 3840x2160.

Colorist is requesting 10-bit DPX sequences or ProRes 4444.  I'm trying to find a reasonable workflow for ProRes, as the DPX files would be cumbersome for our storage options at this point, but it seems that exporting to ProRes via the QT codec is not a good option b/c of poor quality.

I'm trying to find a way to transcode the sequence to ProRes in project, and export same as source, but am a bit muddled in the process.

Will I have to re-link the new transcoded sequence to the new ProRes 4444 clips that are created during the process in a new bin?  Have tested this out, but the relink doesn't seem to work, and only the clips show as "ProRes 4444" in the bin view.

Any workflow advice would be a huge help!

• Sun, Apr 8 2018 10:02 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Re: ProRes 4444 Export for Color - Transcode Workflow

What codec are the original, full res MXF's in your system?

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 8 2018 11:44 PM In reply to

We recorded XAVC-I on the Sony FS7

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 4:30 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

I have a sequence from a project that is FS7 XAVC-I footage and just did a transcode to ProRes without a problem. It looks identiical to the camera originals.

In MC, transcoding to ProRes 4444 is not an option. Use ProRes HQ, it will be more than sufficent. The XAVC files are only 422 so it's pointless to add bits of nothing. I don't understand why you would be getting any kind of quality loss.

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 6:01 AM In reply to

oze:

In MC, transcoding to ProRes 4444 is not an option. 

But it is. On Macs, not PC Avids.

Just flip the project format setting to RGB709, and the 444-codecs will appear as (the only) options for, import/render/transcode.

That said, coming from a 422 source, i agree that it’s not going to improve the picture quality, just blow up the file size.

And why not choose the DPX route?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 11:27 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Thanks Job, right as always Big Smile

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 11:35 AM In reply to

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Would you be able to share your own prores transcode workflow from the FS7 originals? At this point I’m considering just using the export to QT via prores codec option.

DPX seems like a simple option, but the files I’m generating are massive, and I’m not sure we’ll have the storage ability to reimport graded DPX files.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 12:28 PM In reply to

I would flip the project format to RGB709, transcode or mixdown to ProRes4x4, export Same as Source.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 1:08 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I would flip the project format to RGB709, transcode or mixdown to ProRes4x4, export Same as Source.

Awesome, this seems like the best bet to me as well. 

I did a test transcode from a portion of one of my reels, but it was difficult to tell if the new sequence generated was in fact prores. All the clips repopulating in the bin had that prores label in the “format” column, but not the sequence. 

I also want to be sure that the transcode isn’t affecting the source files or the earlier transcoded files - just making new prores clips?

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 4:53 PM In reply to

Easiest would be to do a video mixdown. Be sure to set the timeline quality button to its highest setting before you do.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 5:30 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Easiest would be to do a video mixdown. Be sure to set the timeline quality button to its highest setting before you do.

Thank you - so many settings that are new to me in this process.

However I don't think mixdown will work for me in this scenario, as I also have to deliver an EDL to go along with the conformed sequence.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 6:55 PM In reply to

But you can make that EDL from your sequence as it is, then duplicate your sequence and mix it down.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 9:56 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

But you can make that EDL from your sequence as it is, then duplicate your sequence and mix it down.

That's great - so the colorist would still be able to utilize the cut/dissolve info from the edl and original sequence on the mixed down video file?

I was just researching exporting/importing color levels in 709 vs. RGB and came across your wonderful article:

http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/601_709_RGB.pdf

Will it mess with the color work to import my color graded files back into Avid and switch back to YCbCr? Or should the project color setting stay at RGB from here on out if I export with ProRes?

• Tue, Apr 10 2018 1:13 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Just for future reference, I do quite a bit of roundtripping between MC and Resolve and Scott Freeman has the best method I have used to make the process simple and reliable across multiple sequences and complex, nested sequences. It also allows for super easy re-linking between transcoded and original media. Well worth a look. On first glance, it may seem slightly complex because every step is detailed, but it's really only duplicating two columns of metadata. Super simple once you get used to it and it gives your colourist access to the original media. Cheers

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

• Tue, Apr 10 2018 2:39 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

There are pros and cons of doing a mixdown / edl delivery to color vs. full AAF roundtrip.

The first can be the most cost effecient, but if you have a complicated sequence can tie the colorist hands in some cases.

Best to fully discuss the project with the colorist at first.  They should be able to advise as to the best bang for the buck when all is considered.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller