Latest post Tue, May 29 2018 2:09 PM by Marianna. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 31 2018 7:15 PM

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2017
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Weird zoom in Composer window

I've had this issue in the past and it fixed it self for one reason or another, but now it's back and I have no idea what's happening. In the screen shot you can see that the video in the preview section of the Composer window is zoomed in on the lower left hand corner of the video. In the sequence window is the result of using ctrl+k to zoom out, which only makes it worse. I have no idea what on earth is happening so any input would be amazing.

If this is something that has already been covered and solved in another forum post, I apologize, I couldn't find anything and had no idea what to search for. Thank you in advance!

My system specs:

Windows 10

500gig ssd

i7 6700k

16gigs of ram

GTX 1080

ROG Maximus VIII Hero (mobo)

Windows 10 Pro i7 6700k 16 gigs of ram GTX 1080 500 gig SSD MSI Z270-A Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2018 7:18 PM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Re: Weird zoom in Composer window

I should also note that I am using a 4k monitor. I thought it might be a resolution issue so I hooked up a 1080p monitor and tried it that way, but I get the same effect. There are no scaling artifacts in the UI on my 4k monitor (like their used to be in the first few builds), so I can't imagine that it's that.

Windows 10 Pro i7 6700k 16 gigs of ram GTX 1080 500 gig SSD MSI Z270-A Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 2 2018 6:11 PM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

I took another step and downloaded the current trial version of Media Composer, uninstalled MC First and the result is the same, as pictured below. I'm going to fiddle with all the extra settings to see if I can find the magic button...but please, if anyone has had a similar problem and has had success fixing it, any help would be amazing. Thank you.

• Mon, Apr 2 2018 8:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,451
    • Points 44,500
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It might be a driver issue. MC doesn't always like the most current video driver. Try an earlier version and see if that works.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Apr 2 2018 11:53 PM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

I've been trying; the oldest version I can download via nvidia's website has the same problem and the version that ships with the MC install doesn't like my windows version.

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 12:55 AM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

This is silly, especially for software in 2018. The recommended driver version (the official compatible one that also ships with MC install) is for quadro cards. And I can't find a correct nvidia driver version that's supposed to work with series 10 gpu's. I don't understand why this is so difficult (I can't even get Pro Tools/First to run on my computer and it's far more than capable of doing so).

I've been constantly having problems with MC and MC|First and I think this is the end of the line for me. If entry level software can't work on "entry" level PC's, then what's the point?

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 10:18 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,560

I think i've used 372.70 or 372.90 with a GTX 1080 and its worked fine -this was MC 8.5.3, had a couple of live-able quirks

• Wed, Apr 4 2018 4:02 PM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Dan_B:

I think i've used 372.70 or 372.90 with a GTX 1080 and its worked fine -this was MC 8.5.3, had a couple of live-able quirks

I tried both of those. Gives me the same problem, only this time the image was in the upper left hand corner of the composer windows.

• Wed, Apr 4 2018 7:26 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

dib481:

If entry level software can't work on "entry" level PC's, then what's the point?

Just because it is "entry level software" does not make demands of the the video world any less.  All the issues of source material available to First exist for both First and full license MC.  Users of First would be complaining that First was not useful if it put restrictions on which types of source material would be allowed for lower level computer systems to work.  You can not have it both ways.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Apr 4 2018 8:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,882
    • Points 214,045
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Spot on Jef.

Here are the speifications for the approved computers etc for use with MC | First.

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/Windows_Current_CPU_Specifications.pdf

---  ROG's ATX is a gaming motherboard which I would hedge to bet is causing some of the issues.  MC First is derived from  Media Composer but is more streamlined down. It  still requires many if not all of the computer certifiations that its big brother does.

Here are some of the needs for feature performance. 

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en365919?popup=true

Now if I was in your situation, I would remove anythig attached that is NOT 100% needed to see if we can get this working. Extra monitor - take it off.  Any external devices - take them off.

Then I would make sure you have MC | First 2018.3 installed.  They I would try the following:

NVIDIA

or...

AMD

See if you can get it to funciton.

I now if I asked Dave Pimm who spends his days testing hardware that gaming systems arent really sutible and their added power can actual hinder video editing.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 5 2018 2:11 AM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Marianna:

Then I would make sure you have MC | First 2018.3 installed.  They I would try the following:

NVIDIA

or...

AMD

See if you can get it to funciton.

I appreciate the replies and the advice. I am a little frustrated and I apologize for being negative.

That being said, the above linked Nvidia drivers are for quadro cards, which I unfortunately do not have, and won't install. I don't have a second monitor plugged in and I unplugged my external drive. I even went as far as to start with a fresh install of Windows 10.

MC has, in the past, worked well with the onboard Intel HD 530 graphics so I suppose I could give that a try, it's just a bit of a hassle to switch ports.

Perhaps I am forever doomed to the realms of Premiere.

• Mon, May 28 2018 4:33 AM In reply to

• dib481
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Marianna:

---  ROG's ATX is a gaming motherboard which I would hedge to bet is causing some of the issues.  MC First is derived from  Media Composer but is more streamlined down. It  still requires many if not all of the computer certifiations that its big brother does.

It was the motherboard. If anyone in the future ever has this particular problem, don't be frustrated for over a year like I was. It's the motherboard.

I just purchased and installed an MSI Z270-A Pro and MC and MC|First work amazing! Heck, even windows boots faster and issues I was having with my computer are now resolved. I think somewhere my motherboard was faulty. But all is well.

Thank you for all the replies and I again apologize for being rude at any time.

Cheers!

~Dan

• Tue, May 29 2018 2:09 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,882
    • Points 214,045
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dan

No worries... I am just glad you are up and running.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller