Latest post Sat, May 19 2018 7:23 AM by luca.mg. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 8:29 PM

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 310
    • Points 4,070

Avid, your full screen playback sucks.

I have a few i/o devices for avid.  But I am on a setup that doesnt have a card.

If I have 3 monitors, and one of them is for full screen playback the saving and locator popups are always on the full screen monitor and get me out of full screen mode.

This is really UI common sense.  Don't have popups (saving, rendering, adding locator) exit full screen playback.

All these options for full screen playback like, s3d view, s3d over lay, color space, target mast, display both fields.  How about DONT LET LOCATOR AND SAVING GET ME OUT OF FULL SCREEN MODE.

Please, no need to chime in unless you have a concrete solution (not including i/o hardware which I don't have with me.)

This is really programming garbage.

x299 7940x, asus strix x299-e gaming, 1080ti, MC 2018.9, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1703) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 9:20 PM In reply to

Re: Avid, your full screen playback sucks.

I think they recently changed where save dialogue boxes etc. show up. Are you on 2018.3 (the most recent version)?

Here’s hoping this is concrete enough ;)

The following are new for Media Composer | First v2018.3:

Splash Screen On Primary Monitor

In previous releases, the editing application splash screen would appear on whichever monitor had mouse control. With this release of the editing application, when you are working with dual monitors, the Media Composer | First splash screen will open on the primary monitor. This might be useful if you want to work in another application while Media Composer | First launches. Move your other application window to the second monitor so that you can see the splash screen on the primary monitor as it opens.

Progress Bars On Primary Monitor

In previous releases, progress bars would appear on which ever monitor had mouse control. With this release of the editing application, when you are working with dual monitors, progress bars will open on the primary monitor. This is helpful if you want to arrange your workspace to make sure that progress bars are not hidden behind windows you are currently working with.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 30 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 310
    • Points 4,070

Yes I am on 2018.3.  This is not a solution to what im talking about.

Common Avid get with the program.

x299 7940x, asus strix x299-e gaming, 1080ti, MC 2018.9, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1703) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2018 2:07 AM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,270

One of the problems, as explained to me by Avid support, is that Avid doesnt support three monitor setups. I have had nothing but problems using a three monitor setup inside Avid. Luckily I have an I/O card and don't have to work with full screen playback - but I cant even get my timeline to show up on the correct monitor when I start the application or switch projects. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2018 4:23 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Just out of curiousity, since your profile says you have a BMD Intensity 4K, why not use that for your third display?

Edit: Sorry, just realized from re-reading the first post that you don't have the BMD in this setup.

In any case, to try and deal with the original problem, if the dialogs are always showing up on that monitor, change the layout of the monitors in the Windows display settings. First, start by identifying the monitors. I'm going to presume that the layout is 1-2-3, and monitor 3 is the full screen display. Swap the cable between monitors 2 and 3, and then rearrange the layout in the display settings as 1-3-2. Now make monitor 2 your full screen display.

I'm not in a position to try this right now, but it's a pretty quick change to see if it works.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Mar 31 2018 9:31 PM In reply to

ramz434:

One of the problems, as explained to me by Avid support, is that Avid doesnt support three monitor setups. I have had nothing but problems using a three monitor setup inside Avid. Luckily I have an I/O card and don't have to work with full screen playback - but I cant even get my timeline to show up on the correct monitor when I start the application or switch projects. 

1st and 2nd Monitors (Extended) timeline (VGA to DP).

3rd monitor Full Screen Playback (HDMI).

No I/O hardware just a plain Quadro P2000.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Apr 2 2018 5:27 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365

OK, I've set my system up with 3 monitors, with MC running on 1 (the primary) and 2, and using the 3rd for the full screen playback. All of my dialogs are opening on the primary monitor. The only thing that affects the full screen playback monitor is if I go into Help and access the MC knowledge base (which opens a browser window on the primary monitor, but the playback monitor goes blank). However, when I exit the browser, the playback monitor refreshes itself. I've found nothing that will open the on the 3rd screen.

Let's go back to basics. Exactly how are your monitors connected (all on a video card, two on a card and one directly connected to the MOBO port, etc.) When you go into the Windows Display settings, what are the monitor numbers, how are they laid out, and which is the primary?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Apr 2 2018 5:59 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365

OK, I think I've figured it out. It depends on the Windows Display layout.

I've got 2 HD monitors and a UHD TV connected. Physically, they're laid out with the UHD over the two monitors (I've got a KVM attached with my general purpose system; that system has a virtual desktop of 3840x3240). Normally I run the editting system with the UHD connected up to a BMD Intensity Pro 4K (so a dual monitor system).

I hooked up the UHD to the HDMI port on my editting box for a 3-monitor system (it's monitor # 3). If I lay it out horizontally in the display settings (1 - 2 - 3) then monitor 1 has the menu bar and all of the dialogs show up in monitor 1. If I set it up as 1 up and 2 down like:

1-2

then MC places the menu bar in monitor 3, and that's where all the dialogs open. So if that monitor is also the full screen display, the dialogs interrupt it when they popup.

Is this what you're seeing?

Dave S.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:30 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 310
    • Points 4,070

I finished the project I was working on so I probably won’t be using this setup any time soon.

ive tried different primary monitor settings in the past and that didn’t solve the problem.

but one thing I’ve never done is having monitors 1 2 3 (the way windows identifies them) in order on my desk, that could be it.

ill try it out one day and update. Thank you

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 5:05 PM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 226
    • Points 3,005

Just out of curiosity DStone, what is the sync like on that 3rd monitor of yours, are you 100% fully in sync, no frame lag, (not even a fraction of a frame) between that and your composer monitor?

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 12:09 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365

Sorry, I wasn't looking for lag. My usual setup is that the 3rd monitor (a 4K TV) is connected via a BMD Intensity Pro 4K for color grading on a (more or less) calibrated TV. At least it's what my clients are using, so if it looks good for me it looks good for them.

And in the physical layout that the screen are all in, I couldn't look at both the composer monitor and the TV at the same time anyway,

Dave S.

• Wed, May 16 2018 8:12 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,358
    • Points 62,855

cls105:
    If I have 3 monitors, and one of them is for full screen playback the saving and locator popups are always on the full screen monitor and get me out of full screen mode.

I've just set up a system with three monitors and I see this too; moreover, the decades old MC behaviour, with dialogue boxes and pop up windows appearing where the mouse pointer is was a much more sensible design, what is the point of forcing the operator to move the mouse to a different monitor when working on another one?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, May 16 2018 9:28 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

I think it was a Matrox box that allowed you to plug in 2 outputs from the PC and have 3 monitor outputs from the box.  I used to run this before 3rd Party support was available and my mojo died.  Effectively the PC saw 2 monitors - one the combined dimension of 2 screens and a second that I used for FSP.  Really a cludge but it saved having to plug something into the PCI slot inside the PC, avoided the 3 monitor issues and perhaps a possible solution if you need to work on remote PCs... if matrox still make it.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Wed, May 16 2018 11:32 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 443
    • Points 5,195

matrox trick only worked with dvi/vga.

now we have display port with passive adapters.

better solution exept for this edge case.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2018 12:43 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,358
    • Points 62,855

The Matrox thing is obsolete, I don't even know if it's still for sale.

Just wanted to add that even though popups and dialogue boxes appear in the wrong place killing the FSP monitor (!), I do not agree on the wording FSP "sucks", I'd rather say that it needs improvements, especially with regards to playback image quality, other than windows placement and full screen persistence. A good working three monitors setup would be much better than two monitors + an I/O box, giving You more real estate for the various tools when not in FSP mode, for example when mixing or working with the media tool or You name it. Of course this might sink the I/O devices market, so I'm not holding my breath while waiting for Avid to make FSP better to the point that it could fully replace an Avid I/O box, but still it should be refined. Needless to say that with file based pipelines there's not much use for an I/O box nowadays, except for colour correction, which does not happen that much in MC anymore, given the lack of features compared to other finishing apps.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller