Latest post Fri, Apr 27 2018 11:47 AM by Roger Shufflebottom. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 29 2018 12:25 AM

• jaygon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 2 2007
    • Sydney
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

Title Tool Issues

All computers in a classroom are suddenly unable to access Marquee. When Marquee is selected nothing happens. Previously it was working fine.

Also, in some instances the Title Tool also can't be accessed. When 'Title Tool Application' is chosen from the Tools menu there's a flash frame of the selection options but it disappears.

Any suggestions?

I've tried restarting, closing all bins etc

Avid 8.6.3

Macbook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM OS 10.12.6 Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 30 2018 9:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,443
    • Points 63,780

Re: Title Tool Issues

What has changed since Marquee used to work fine? Are You loading user settings created with an earlier MC release? Also search the forums for "usual suspects".

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 6 2018 12:17 AM In reply to

• jaygon
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

I'm not really sure what's changed. Although I was just told Marquee is being phased out. Is that correct? Maybe that's what's happening. Or should Marquee still work?

We're all on 8.6.3 in a MAC lab

Macbook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM OS 10.12.6 Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 6 2018 2:05 PM In reply to

Marquee should still work. You didn't recently update?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Apr 18 2018 11:40 PM In reply to

• jaygon
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

No update recently. So I still can't get it to work. Literally nothing happens when I select Marquee.

A few people have told me Marquee is no longer being supported or phased out. I don't know. Is there any truth to that?

And if anyone has any other suggestions in getting Marquee to work?

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 1:12 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,443
    • Points 63,780

luca.mg:

Are You loading user settings created with an earlier MC release? Also search the forums for "usual suspects".

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 1:51 AM In reply to

• jaygon
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

No. User settings have been left on Default.

I tried searching "usual suspects". Is that supposed to bring up other forums about Marquee? I had no luck with that

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 2:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,443
    • Points 63,780

Please try to make new user settings. If that doesn't work it could be the project settings, plenty of step by step guides on how to recreate them by searching the Avid communty forums for "usual suspects".

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 6:51 AM In reply to

In terms of teaching titling is a bit of a mess in my view.

We had Title tool and it was fine for what it was. Quick and easy to use.

Then in their wisdom Avid decided to bolt in a 3rd party app as a solution to evolving and fixing the inbuild title tool

and hence Marquee was born. A vastly more complex tool and frankly overkill for Many titling needs (for TV broadcast and post)

All sorts of issues wit moving projects around and accessing your marquee titles (and in the early days early versions not having Marquee)

The in built Title tool was still a simpler and quicker solution but work on eveolving it or even fixing known simple bugs ceased as the 3rd party route was promoted.

And now we have New Blue another 3rd party complex and slow tool. And many who have been here before see the same pattern as before. Get on board with New Blue and where will it be in 5 years? Like Marquee left by the road side?

We have a NewBlue update roud every corner. Issues with limitations of versions available to perpetual license owners compared to subscription users.

And at the end of the day its still a complex tool and very slow for quick simple titles.

So we have the current old and buggy Title tool but still used by many. Marquee, still supported but not included anylonger, New Blue if you acan work out and keep up with the versioning and have the time in your day to learn it and wait for it to produce media.

The good news is an updated title tool has been promised for sometime and we live in hope that we will see a return to an efficient internal title tool...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 7:37 AM In reply to

I have a different view on Marquee.
    When all I wanted to from it was options the title tool provided it was just as simple and as fast. It has better ways of saving its titles to specific hard drive folders.   Then a bonus that I could get as complex as I liked with 2D titles  and animations with minimal speed loss.  For me the 3D options quiet good but slow and unintuitive and I think this flaw is what caused most of the negativity toward the product.  I made Marquee my go too option over Title tool for my fast down and dirty titling for a decade or more.

When Marquee was first brought by Avid everybody was thrilled.  Sadly just a couple of months later FCP introduced a glittering modern titling option suited the younger Premier, FCP and Avid Xpress Pro market much better.

• Thu, Apr 19 2018 8:16 AM In reply to

I think it also depends on the need for collaberation.

If you work on your own stuff then 3rd party options have less limitations.

But if you ran a Post house getting and sending projects from clients and using a range of freelancers you needed to keep as much comonality as possible.

Avid internal title tool worked and saved perfectly with the Project in bins. recvreating title media a simple step.

Getting a project with Marquee or NB titles saved outside with an editor never having used that tool and you lose time.

It all depends on what you need.

As Andew says FCPX has a neat title tool and Premiere has After effects. Both are very attractive for clients.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 11:47 AM In reply to

Well, Marquee is still here but I read that NewBlue was being dumped. To answer the OP, try a computer restart immediately before launching MC. We had a similar problem with not getting the old Title Tool (or Marquee, sometimes) to launch a few versions back. Had a long, unresolved case with Avid. Our students are on 8.9.4 on Sierra at the moment and I haven't come across this for a while.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller