Latest post Tue, Oct 16 2018 8:06 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 21 2018 2:31 PM

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Mac nexis clients Delayed write failure

We have a Nexis system with a mix of PC and mac clients and the macs all exhibit this error when trying to copy files to a workspace. Sometimes the files will copy anyway but others will throw up a further OS error.

Sometimes Errcode 0x9, sometimes 0xd

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2018 2:32 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: Mac nexis clients Delayed write failure

And the OS error;

Not sure if this is something that can be fixed by OS/client upgrade or prefs trashing etc or something that our Information Services dept (who are responsible for the network) need to fix. Are there any network settings etc that could cause this? Specifically ones that may have different reqs for mac and PC?

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2018 7:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,804
    • Points 212,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Looking up that error.......

The problem stems from the “dot-underscore” companion files that Mac OS X's HFS+ filesystem creates for files when they get moved to FAT16 or FAT32 volumes. The problem is observed when folders from a Windows-compatible volume get moved to a Mac and then back again.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9699/~/mac-error-code-36-when-transferring-files

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Apr 25 2018 1:55 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna

In case this might be of intererst to you or others - I just ran across a problem relating to Delayed Write Failure errors from Nexis Client.

Just upgraded (not a clean install for this particular CPU) the OS X on a MacPro6,2 to High Sierra (10.13.4). Uninstalled all Avid software first and then reinstalled MC2018.4, Nexis 2018.3, Interplay 2017.2 etc.

Two out of three COU’s are now finally running smoothly (we had been seeing multiple problems on OS X 10.11 and 10.12 - using MC8.9.4-2018.4 and relevant Nexis/Interplay release).

But the third one suddenly started throwing 5-10 Nexis Delayed Write Failure errors, each relating to a clip name from various workspaces.

I finally noticed that each file name had the extension .PAT - which then led me to the PhoneticData folder (related to ScriptSync) in the SearchData folder for the CPU based in the ISIS project folder. Deleting them + _SearchDB_ fixed the problem. 

The odd thing is that ScriptSync doesn’t work in Icelandic so it is never used - let alone activated.

My guess however is that this may come down to the following:

• Avid is running an MC2018.4 promo where a trial license for  ScriptSync appears in the App Man.
    • It was not activated
    • This particular editor does keep a PDF copy of script open in Preview
    • Possibly this may have caused the Phonetic Indexing to start Furthermore the Editor has only used the MC2018.4 for a short time before I updated the OS - perhaps the DWF error only applies to index files prior to that.

PS: Marianna - I’d appreciate heads up if you happen to know or stumble upon why this indexing may have started in the first place.

Vil

• Wed, Apr 25 2018 8:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,804
    • Points 212,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Vil

Wow..... Let me run this buy continuation engineering.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, May 18 2018 11:10 PM In reply to

• CeeDubH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 16 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

I'm receiving the same 'Delayed write failure' error for .pat files. In this instance it's also appended by an 'Errcode 0x66'.

We're not running the exact same setup, as we're running macOS 10.11.6 with Media Composer 2018.4 and NEXIS Client of 18.3.0.7.

After deactivating ScriptSync (Listed as an activated option in the Application Manager, along with Symphony) seems to have solved the issue 

• Sat, Jun 2 2018 4:41 PM In reply to

Hi,

I just updated a windows 10 MC 2018.2 system to 2018.5 at one of our Interplay customers. Because this is a admin/remote acces/testing system it undergoes regular MC trial resets. Due to the new licensing system introduced in 2018.4 the license activates an Ultimate trial with Scriptsync.

Since the upgrade I see the exact same delayed write failures for the 'pat' files. So it is not Mac related.

Disabling individual components like Scriptsync in the trial is not possible AFAIK. But if I'm wrong I would be happy to learn how.

That said, I expect this will not be an issue on the normally activated systems at this customer when disabling Scriptsync. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 48
    • Points 685

We've also started getting Avid Nexis Delayed write failures with an Errcode of 0x66.

We're running Macs with 10.11.6 and 10.12.6, MC 2018.5, and Avid Nexis Client 18.3.0.7

EDIT: Confirming that ScriptSync is active on the machines we've had the issue with.

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 5:29 PM In reply to

Are the projects stored on a workspace? If so, please move the Bin Indexer from the default location - the project folder, to a local drive and see if the issue reproduces.

In the Find Window select the sprocket in the bottom left.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sun, Aug 12 2018 10:23 PM In reply to

• BenTrinder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 27 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

We run multiple locations on both ISIS and NEXIS.

Since moving to MC 2018.x versions, all sites experience DELAYED WRITE FAILURE - referencing .PAT file pop-ups on clients which have PhraseFind/ScriptSync activated.

In all cases, either disabling PhraseFind/ScriptSync via licensing or moving the Bin Indexer database locally fixes it.

It would be great to see a better fix for this...

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 6:10 PM In reply to

• szlevi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 15 2009
    • nyc
    • Posts 16
    • Points 220

It's still an issue with a brand new Nexis E4 running 2018.6.1.14, from a W10 client, making this $40k+ system practically useless (I cannot even migrate existing projects to this Nexis.)

FYI running multiple Avid projects from a new generic file server (using WS2016 w/ SDS and Mimiq for bin locking) shows no issues - it's rather depressing that Avid's own system (almost 3c more expensive for one-third of the bandwidth when compared to my custome-built one) is unable to match a Supermicro server...

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 6:21 PM In reply to

Who setup the NEXIS? Have you called into support? What NICs, switches...etc. are being used?

As a test could you turn off the WiFi and see if the performance improves?

In the Network Settings for OS X be sure the Ethernet connections for NEXIS are at the top. In the NEXIS client be sure only the network connections used for NEXIS are selected.

Do you have Antivirus or LittleSnitch running?

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 6:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,804
    • Points 212,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BobRusso:

Who setup the NEXIS? Have you called into support? What NICs, switches...etc. are being used?

As a test could you turn off the WiFi and see if the performance improves?

In the Network Settings for OS X be sure the Ethernet connections for NEXIS are at the top. In the NEXIS client be sure only the network connections used for NEXIS are selected.

Do you have Antivirus or LittleSnitch running?

Bob is spot on Levente. Happy to open a case and get Avid on it but need the folowing that Bob asked sent in to me via email or posted here.

We can ONLY help you when you HELP us!

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 6:47 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 48
    • Points 685

We do see the issue from time to time, however, now that that project is mostly wrapped out, it happens much less frequently. We spent weeks working with support and they were never able to isolate an issue, but as it happens less frequently, I'm inclined to believe there was a media corruption that was causing the Delayed write failure. Unfortunately it's such a generic error, support wasn't able to track down the actual cause.

• Tue, Oct 16 2018 7:08 PM In reply to

• szlevi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 15 2009
    • nyc
    • Posts 16
    • Points 220

I did (I do this for a living.) No support call yet as it's clearly the same issue as described here (copying in *.pat files fail.)
    All supplied with the system incl the Dell N2024 (client NIC does not matter as long as it's an up-to-date common - BCM, Intel etc - chipset.)

There's no wifi at all and yes, it's only the right NIC selected. No AV (apart from W10's own security which never caused any issue.)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller