Latest post Wed, Mar 28 2018 6:46 PM by DStone. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 19 2018 5:19 AM

• gvancea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 19 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

How to export a single frame from a clip?

Hi all.

I have been having some issues with exporting a single frame from a clip for some reason.

Since this version doesn't have a "export function" I used the following process.

1. "publish to" feature by selecting a frame in the clip,
    2. mark in and mark out,
    3. right click and publish to Local Drive,
    4. input  file name, select a file type.

It shows the frame I want in the window but when I press "ok" it always outputs the first frame in the clip? 

Crazy, can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (but no money paid ;) )

Greg V.

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Mar 19 2018 11:29 AM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 462
    • Points 6,290

Re: How to export a single frame from a clip?

From memory (not at a workstation at the moment).

1) park play-line on the frame you want to export

2) mark in and out on that frame

3) goto 'export file' and select or create a still image preset (I think you can export JPEG or PNG)

4) give it a new filename and hit 'save' or 'export'

That should do it

Edit 1:- Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz (self build) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo 24GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Mon, Mar 19 2018 2:48 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,905

I don't have MC First, but in the "Full" version you can park on a frame in the Source Monitor then in click on "Composer" in the Menu Bar at the top and select "Freeze Frame" from the list. There are a number of duration times available, or you can enter a custom duration. Select the Bin to save the Still in and give it a name.

Gerry

MC 2018.9, Win 10 Pro CE, Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 399.07),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2018 9:53 PM In reply to

Hey! I have this same problem, i think it's because you literally can't export, they just have the pared down garbage that is "publish to."

Dumb way to fix it, but I just made an edit moved the clip i wanted to the front of the timeline and exported that out and ctrl+z everything back to where it was. They really need to work on this program if they want anybody to consider using avid over premiere.

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 10:29 AM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 462
    • Points 6,290

It is a straightforward procedure in MC First:-

1) park play-line on the frame you want to export

2) mark in and out on that frame

3) goto 'publish to' then choose local drive

4) choose still image as type of file

you can then choose to save as PNG or JPEG. 

Added - OK, having tested this out I now understand the OP's frustration. The technique above DOES result in the first frame of the sequence neing exported, not the one you want. Possibly a bug, definately a failing. The only work-around I can think of is to make a separate sequence with frame you want to export as the first, but that seems stupidly clunky.  

Edit 1:- Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz (self build) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo 24GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 9:23 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I don't have MCF installed, so I can't check on this, but in MC there's an option in the preset for Use Selected Marks. This should export only what's between the In and Out markers. This is assuming that this option exists in MCF.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

• gvancea
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I've looked everywhere and I can't see it unfortunately.

• Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:02 AM In reply to

• gvancea
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

thanks for the suggestion but i was hoping to export quite a few of these frames so I don't think this work flow would be usable for so many. Cheers!

• Tue, Mar 27 2018 9:40 AM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 462
    • Points 6,290

DStone:

I don't have MCF installed, so I can't check on this, but in MC there's an option in the preset for Use Selected Marks. This should export only what's between the In and Out markers. This is assuming that this option exists in MCF.

Unfortunately that option isn't part of the 'publish' settings (not that I could identify anyway). I had assumed that simply setting in/out markers would default to that range, but it seems not. It is a failing.

Matt B

• Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:35 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185

I'm currently upgrading a laptop after which I'm going to install MCF on it for future reference. In the meantime, I've been through the manual and I can't find anything for exporting a single frame either. About the only thing I did find was the create sub-sequence button (set I/O points, create a subsequence). I don't know if you have to drag that SS to the bin in order to publish it, or if it will work within the main sequence. You can give that a try and let us know if it works or not.

Defintely something that Avid should address; you should be able to specify the I/O marks when publishing.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Mar 28 2018 6:46 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185

OK, I've got MCF installed and did a bunch of testing. Exporting to still image is broken. Even though the publish window shows the frame at the in point, it will always export the first frame of the sequence or clip. I've escalated this up to support.

To work around (not elegant but it works) set the in point in the timeline, drag the subsequence icon into the bin. right-click on the subsequence in the bin and choose Publish To... and publish the frame. Then click on the subsequence and hit the Delete key. Check off the subsequence in the delete box and click on OK.

Or do as shown earlier, edit the timeline to get the desired frame at the front, publish that, and control-z to undo the edit. That can be problematic with complex timelines, in which case the subsequence may be better.

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller