Latest post Fri, Mar 9 2018 2:49 PM by SR555. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 8 2018 1:21 PM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Adjust incoming black levels when capturing firewire?

Hi, quick question. I am doing some tests capturing from a DVD player> s video out to Sony GVD 1000 firewire deck> into Avid MC7 on macbook pro.   

I don't see a way to adjust the levels in the decks.  Blacks are coming in at about 30.  Anything I can do on Avid's end while capturing?  

Someone suggested checking "NTSC has setup" but I do not show that setting in the system. Have checked general settings as well as the general tab in the capture settings.  

I know I can use the VOB however I'm testing the captured clip.

Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 8 2018 4:08 PM In reply to

Re: Adjust incoming black levels when capturing firewire?

By the time you've converted it to firewire you lose the ability to adjust during capture. You are basically bringing data as DV.

Its not ideal to take MPEG compressed analogue and then to DV. DVs not a great codec unless its aquired like that.

To have control you need to be able to adjust the analogue signal or capture that signal directly.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 5:17 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Oh I wish I had a box to do that. Only have the DVD player (consumer), which has S video out.  I have a newer, bluray player which does have a component out and an HDMI, but nothing to capture that with.   The firewire deck for pass through has an S video in only, and just a video rca port going into the same input as the audio, rca to mini.  Then firewire out. 

My camera  (Sony NX5U) does not have inputs that would work, only outputs.  

I was hoping that by capturing 1:1 this would provide a higher resolution file than the mpeg2 itself and avoid the technical issues (interlacing, field order etc) dealt with in the other thread, or any new compression issues that would arise from transcodng the mpeg 2 one more time. That maybe Avid would handle it properly if ingested this way.  Including being smooth when going back to DVD.  Is this going down the wrong road?  

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 8 2018 6:10 PM In reply to

But the DV stream is already 5:1 compression.

You are better off ripping the VOB and converting that to DNx avoid the analogue and DV completely.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 6:22 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

So even though it is just pass through with no recording, it's converting it again? I guess that make sense. 

The VOB just seemed to make the problems that were already in the video, worse.  I ahven't looked at the captured footage but figured it might be easier to fix.   Premiere did a better job than Avid of handling the mpeg footage though - it was more stable with a lot fewer artifacts. Once it got to DVD it was worse and very jumpy.

DNX what resolution?  Or 1:1?

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 7:49 PM In reply to

For a DVD at SD I'd normally work at 3:1 (overkill)

How are you converting the VOB to Dnx media? That process maybe the weakness.

-

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 8:07 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Well I originally transcoded the VOB (upper field) to Avid DV with lower field.  Then in one of three million tests, I converted it to upper field. I was trying to fix that it was showing a reverse field-step pattern when AMA'd into Avid, so I tried saving it with upper field to fix that and then importing it in

In hundreds upon hundreds of tests, nothing ever worked to produce a smooth DVD.  ALthough in retrospect, some of that is in the source footage.  The only thing that worked somewhat was to edit in in Premiere. 

Hence my conclusion that analog captures with some color correcting might be an option.

(This is all in the other thread so I hate to cross-post it).   Anyway, converted it to avid dv full quality via mpeg streamclip. I  have not tried converting to dnx before from the source files..

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 9:21 PM In reply to

Just avoid the DV codec and avoid all those field issues. Convert straight from DVD VOB to DNx120 media

-

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 10:13 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Ok so there are field issues either way, right?  Because the project is 30i and the material is interlaced, 720x480 (in a 720x486 project).  So how best they be handled in that situation?  Is dnx upper?  Convert the source clips in streamclip and ama them back in?  Transccode the ame clips and replace? this is ntsc btw, I see you are across the pond  =)  

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 10:23 PM In reply to

NTSC DVD should be lower field.

If you AMA into Avid under source settings you can check field order is correct.

The other question is whats the intended output for?

Do you need to retain the interlacing or are you going to have to de-interlace anyway?

If you need to de-intelace then you solve the field order issue anyway. And I'd de-interlace as yiou rip the VOB.

-

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 11:05 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

It;s going to dvd.

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 11:23 PM In reply to

So you have the choice. stick with interlaced or go progressive. but dvd rip back to DVD it won't look pretty.

-

• Thu, Mar 8 2018 11:29 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

pat can you expand on exactly, specifically what your workflow would be from beginning to DVD?  THis is HD 1020x1080, right?  But the project is sd.  thx

• Fri, Mar 9 2018 12:24 AM In reply to

SR555:
    Blacks are coming in at about 30
    You could look in the GVD's menus and see if there is a setting for something like "termination" as you are looping through.

Pro decks with loop through ability on an input will have a on off termination switch.  Otherwise if you are not looping through you connect a 75 ohm "terminator" or the composite analog input signal will be at the wrong level. ( My gross simplification of the hows and why)

I would try recording a short section to DV tape on the GVD without having any outputs connected. (effectively creating a terminated input signal) Then Capture from the DV tape and you could well find that black level is correct in MC from tape playback.   

FWIW We only ever used the GVD1000 (Clamshell) here for recording on tape OR tape replay. There were no issues with black levels. 

• Fri, Mar 9 2018 1:57 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Yeah it really washed out the footage. I'll try that. 

At this point I may be back to skipping the capturing and trying to work from the VOB.  At this point, like DStone said in the other thread, at some point you've got to call it done.  However it irks me that it looks so bad, but there's some vindication in seeing that some of the jumping is the source footage.  Even so I do need to get something usable to her even if it means rebulilding it in Premiere and working from the VOB directly.  But premiere is unpredictable.

Wonder if like Pat said maybe it's the codec also.

None of the footage is straight from the VOB, it's all been transcoded.

I'll try a test copying directly to tape.  Don't think there's any termination option, but will check.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller