Latest post Wed, Mar 7 2018 2:18 PM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 7 2018 2:33 AM

Can't link media from hard drives but I can from my desktop

I've never had this issue before and I'm not sure why this is happening. I am assistant editing a thesis film that is stored on a Nexis server. I've linked media to this project before. At first I thought the problem was because the media was stored on the nexis. so I tried just linking it from the hard drive my director gave me. But I can't do that either. I thought there was something wrong with the files, they were HD mp4's, but out of curiosity I dropped some of the media from my hard drive onto my desktop and it link's perfectly from there.

I don't get an error message or anything. Simply nothing happens. Under plugin in the source browser it just says the files can't be linked. But the same exact files can be linked from my desktop. I tried google searching my issue and the only thing that is coming up is how to relink media after it's been moved to a new drive.

The same issue happens with importing as well. I can import from my desktop but not my drive. And I can't leave media on the desktop. AVID is hosted on school computers and they wipe the desktop's clean every morning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Mar 7 2018 9:26 AM In reply to

Re: Can't link media from hard drives but I can from my desktop

It would help to know more about the system you're working on.  Which version of Media Composer are you running?  Which specific OS? If you edit your user profile, you can add this information so you don't have to type it all the time.  (Look at the bottom of this post for an example.)

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 7 2018 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: Can't link media from hard drives but I can from my desktop

illegal character in the folder name or path would be my guess.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller