Latest post Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:11 PM by mecom. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 22 2018 3:09 PM

• mecom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 22 2018
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Workspaces messed up when transfering User Settings from Win10 to Win7 system

Dear forum :)

As suggested, I built my User Settings completely new from scratch in version 2018.1 on a Win10 system. Everything worked fine and I have my User Settings perfectly as I want them. We have 4 identical Avid Media Composer in our company, so I want to copy the User Settings to all the other systems. 2 systems are Win10, 2 are Win7. Avid Media Composer version is identical on all systems, every system has 2 monitors with identical resolution. I have done this procedure for years, and always without any difficulty. But this time the User Settings are completely messed after copying them to a Win7 system. When switching to my settings, everything is fine at first sight. But when switching to another workspace, nearly no window is where it should be, windows appear that shouldn't appear or are at the wrong position, other windows are missing. And when switching back to the very first workspace, that seemed to work seconds before, this workspace is messed too. I tried the procedure again after updating to version 2018.2 with no different result. The transfer to a Win10 system works. 

So it very much seems that the problem is caused somewhere between the Win10 > Win7 transfer. I tried simple copying, I tried exporting the settings, I even transferred the files both via our server and via a USB stick, to eliminate the possibility of some kind of data loss caused by the one or the other platform, ... with no success.

As the procedure has been working reliably in the last years (yes, also between Win7 and Win10), I am a bit stuck. I don't have any more ideas what I could try. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or has tips what I could have done wrong?

Of course, as a less-than-ideal solution, I could rebuild my User Settings separately on every system, but I would be thankful if I don't have to.^^

Thanks in advance & happy editing

• Thu, Feb 22 2018 5:29 PM In reply to

Re: Transfering User Settings from Win10 to Win7 system ends in Settings completely messed

I would put my bets on the nvidia driver differences. Windows 10 probably did 'its thing' and updated the driver.

Have you compared the nvidia driver versions?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 26 2018 5:11 PM In reply to

• mecom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 22 2018
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Re: Transfering User Settings from Win10 to Win7 system ends in Settings completely messed

Very good point, thank you!

I checked, but they are all the same. So the display driver do not seem to be the cause. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller