Latest post Mon, Feb 12 2018 1:10 AM by Turnstile. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 10 2018 5:27 PM

• Turnstile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 10 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

How do I extend an audio clip past its original parameters?

Situation: So I've added some reverb to a gunshot sound to make it "ring out" more.

The original sound effect is only 2 seconds long.

Problem: Because I added reverb to it, the echo lasts well beyond this 2 second window and is cut off abruptly. 

After some web searching and consulting my avid textbook, I was unsuccessful in finding out how to extend this audio clip  enough to capture the reverb I've added.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ben

• Sat, Feb 10 2018 7:03 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 895
    • Points 11,450

Re: How do I extend an audio clip past its original parameters?

I would seperate audio from video, and work on audio first. Save your current reverb. Then take the original sound and apply audio effect "Time Compression/expansion", and expand the current audio fileto the same length as the reverb effect langth.

When this composition works as desired, continue with the video part. Apply the timewarp effect to expand the video to the sm lngth as the new audio.

Finally, put both parts together on a timeline, and then make an export - and re-impodt the exported clip.

May be this helps.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sat, Feb 10 2018 7:27 PM In reply to

Turnstile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ben

There's probably better ways to do it, but I would Add an RTAS-enabled track below the original, copy the last bit of dry sound onto the RTAS track using the reverb setting of choice.

Make sure you have plenty of time available past that moment on the RTAS track.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 10 2018 7:32 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,333
    • Points 16,385

For a two second sound effect, I would probably just put it in a sequence clean, isolate it and do an audio mixdown adding a few seconds of blank tail.  Cut in the new media and add the effect to that.

• Sun, Feb 11 2018 12:07 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,353
    • Points 96,635

smrpix:
    For a two second sound effect, I would probably just put it in a sequence clean, isolate it and do an audio mixdown adding a few seconds of blank tail.
    Me too!  In fact it's what I invariably do with any audio that has a hard cut off that I need to add reverb to.  If there's significant atmos present, fade the end of the audio over a few frames before doing the mixdown.  With an effect this short it's unlikely that this will even be necessary though.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:39 AM In reply to

• Turnstile
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

This sounds like the most logical solution and what I was looking for, it makes perfect sense to me.

Though in the "audio mixdown" interface I don't see an option to create a blank tail.

The parameters of the audio length are set.

• Sun, Feb 11 2018 9:55 AM In reply to

Cut the sound effect into a new sequence. Add the effect a second time so you now have the effect twice. Set the audio gain of the second clip to infinitiy (mute) then mixdown. You now have a clip with the effect followed by silence of the same duration.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Feb 11 2018 2:09 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,333
    • Points 16,385

Not sure I described it properly.  Set the in and out points like this to include filler in the mixdown:

• Sun, Feb 11 2018 3:47 PM In reply to

and this is the RTAS version. 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 11 2018 10:48 PM In reply to

One way. With the required clip into a new timeline use Add Edit to cut the clip 1 frame from the end.
    Insert edit X seconds of filler at the add edit point to extend the timeline out beyond where it is needed.
    Go back to the clip and trim it 1 frame forward so the clip is back to the original length.
    Mark in at the start of the timeline and Mark Out at the end of the timeline.
    Make an audio mixdown using the Mark In to Mark out to set the mixdown's duration.

FWIW I would name and keep this timeline so I could remake the lengthend clip with a different Reverb decay rate if required later.

• Mon, Feb 12 2018 1:10 AM In reply to

• Turnstile
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Pat Horridge:

Cut the sound effect into a new sequence. Add the effect a second time so you now have the effect twice. Set the audio gain of the second clip to infinitiy (mute) then mixdown. You now have a clip with the effect followed by silence of the same duration.

This worked great!

Thanks for your suggestion.

- Ben

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller