Latest post Fri, Mar 9 2018 11:37 PM by SR555. 63 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 5 2018 12:03 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Re: I just can't solve this interlacing! Still can't output, project due.

It did seem to help - premliminary tests seen on an interlaced monitor show mostly the interlacing gone, but it's still blocky with lots of artifacts.  And jumpy with lots of color bleed, which may be the original footage.

I tried some tests in Premiere with the VOB files natively and they were noticeably better.   Still issues with blockiness and 'mosquito' dots around the edges.  But there was a noticable improvment from what Avid has put out on any setting.  =(

Woke up this morning with an idea - I wonder if a direct capture from DVD either to my camera or to Avid via my firewire deck and a pass-through might work?    I have the TS files for most of the years and could just go ahead and burn them to DVD and capture them back in? 

The project is 2/3 ripped from DVDs.  The remaining 1/3 is clips from other formats (h264s, m4vs) that are at a low data rate.  Perhaps I can do a simliar type of capture with those and it would help.  I do not have any i/O hardware other than my macbook, software, an on-its-last-leg sd mini-dv firewire deck, and my camera which is a Sony NX5U and a smaller, consumer-grade Sony. 

Does anyone know of a capture process that will correct edge color bleed?

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 5 2018 9:47 PM In reply to

SR555:
     I have the TS files for most of the years and could just go ahead and burn them to DVD and capture them back in? 
    Try it with one and see!  FWIW if I were doing that I would capture them to DV at the same time.

SR555:
    Does anyone know of a capture process that will correct edge color bleed?
    If the original source was VHS you are probably out of luck.  Most VHS had over saturated colours (especially red) and this leads to bleeding.

FWIW at present I am rejuvenating 11 half hour shows that were shot and edited on VHS back in the early 80's. My process has been VHS to DV. DV to Avid via SDI out of HDV deck. capturing at SD 1 to 1.  As the requirement is to play on large screen TV's I export from Avid as SD 720 576 (PAL) DNxHR HQ.  Open in Resolve and scale to full height 4:3  in a 1920 HD Resolve project.  Colour correct the footage and apply Noise reduction. Output as DNxHD back into Avid.  Add black Side bars.  By no means perfect but the best results I have achieved with old VHS masters.  The temporary working (DNxHR) file sizes are huge but manage able working in 13 minute sections (before and after ad breaks at a time.

SR555:
    The remaining 1/3 is clips from other formats (h264s, m4vs) that are at a low data rate.
    i do not know what is available to you but here I use a USB hard-drive player (Philips) with composite and component outputs that I feed to a HDV deck. 

• Wed, Mar 7 2018 3:40 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

That sounds like a fun project you are working on!    

So I"ve been capturing test clips  1:1 from the DVD (consumer player hooked up via svideo to Sony GVD 1000 - no black settigns in either menu)  and am in the process of comparing.   First thing noticeable is that it's coming in with very elevated blacks, vs the VOB file which has much better color levels. 

Thanks for sharing your workflow.  That's really good to know for future projects. May have some questions about that going forward.  As for scaling, I'd be afraid to scale this particular project because the source footage is so bad. It started out as an HD project but I switched to SD since it was just going to DVD and was 98% SD footage.

In looking at this footage directly from the DVD, many - not all - of the problems dogging this project are apparent in the source DVD.  Including a lot of the blockiness.  Somehow it just didn't seem as apparent when viewing the VOB source file. Perhaps because of the complications of the interlacing on the computer monitor,  I wish I had gone back and looked directly at the DVD first instead of making judgments from the VOB. 

UPDATE to future thread readers - not happy with the SD capture, so I"m going to go back to working with the source files. I'll post back how this eventually ends (me throwing 'the avid" off a cliff perhaps?)... please stand by....

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 9 2018 11:37 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

UPDATE

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that I am finishing up having built it in Premiere, but still had some of the same issues, some of which are in the footage.  Anyway, once that's done and things settle down a bit, I'm going to go back and finish the Avid project, just to make sure I've addressed every issue and not given up.

Have to say that having worked in Avid now, yeah it's a major PITA to learn, but oddly I"m sort of missing it.   Premiere has lots of great stuff going for it - absolutely LOVE the interface and also the ease with which you can work with different formats.  But once past the frustration of it, working in Avid has really kicked up my editing skills to a new level.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the help and professionalism of the community here, and the time and effort spent helping to troubleshoot this nightmare project.    

Will update later as this progresses.  Just wanted to pop in and say hello.

Page 5 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller