Latest post Fri, Feb 9 2018 3:08 AM by Avidguru2018. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 8 2018 6:40 PM

How Duplicate An Avid Project on Same System as Original?

I'm running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 with Avid Media Composer 18.1.0.

This is what I'd like to have happen in a perfect world scenario:

I have a Master Avid project for a client that is several years old and filled with hundreds of bins with media. I have a new project with the same client and I'd like it to be a new separate project from my Master project BUT include all of those hundreds of bins of media as I'll need access to them for this new project.

My instinct was to simply duplicate the entire Project folder in the finder and rename both the Project folder AND the avp file to a new name for my new project. Then, if I open that new duplicated project up, I can trash the bins I don't need and just leave all of the media bins I require for my new project.

My concern is that I'd read on the forums that duplicating a project and keeping it on the same system is dangerous and can lead to corruption of project files, bins, etc. Also, I'm not sure if by duplicating all of the bins via the Finder if whatever I do in the duplicate will effect the original or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can duplicate a project via the Finder? 

The only alternative I know would be to create a new project and open up each bin individually from my original master project but that would take literally hours and hours. And even then, I wouldn't be able to organize them in folders because one can't do that with bins located in "other bins." 

I did read about a buggy workaround where one could copy the folder that contains all of my media via the finder and place it in "Trash" of my new project. This would allow me to take the folder out of the trash in my new project and access normally. But that sounded a little weird.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Avid Media Composer 18.1.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 8 2018 9:44 PM In reply to

Re: How Duplicate An Avid Project on Same System as Original?

You can copy the original Project. named Old for this example
    Paste it back into the Avid Projects folder renaming the copy to a new name (XX for this example)
    Open the XX project in finder.
    Rename the following: 
    Old Settings,xml     to   XX Settings,xml
    Old.avp                  to   XX.avp
    Old.avs                  to   XX.avs
    Old.xml                 to   XX.xml

Open MC and the XX project.   MC will open the copied project with all of the Old projects structure and settings.  The issue will be that any media deleted in XX will have deleted the media from the Old project.  

The easy answer to this is MDV (Cost = donation) downloadable from here   if you have enough space for duplicate media on your media drive.

Use MDV to find all media for the OLD project and move it to a new folder named 1000 in your Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder.
    Open MC and let it index your media. Open the Old project and check the media is online.
    Close MC and rename the 1000 folder to 1000_ Old
    Copy the 1000_old folder to a new folder called 1000
    Delete the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files from the new 1000 folder.
    Move the 1000_Old folder out of the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder to any other location you choose on the media drive.
    Open MC and you will see index the "new" 1000 folder open the XX project and check all of the media is on line.
    Close MC and rename the 1000 folder to 1000_XX Open MC and the new project. start editing.
    Avid will send all new media to the "1" folder inside the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder.

If you want to go back to the Old project you simply Moove 1000_Old back into the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder and the 1000_XX out of the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\ folder.
    For housekeeping purposes if you do this I would use MDV to find all of the media for the XX project and move all of this (apart from what is already in the 1000_XX folder) to a new 1001 folder.  Let MC index this folder and rename it 1001_XX

Because the media is only being moved on the same hard drive the whole process only takes minutes. You can then easily repeat this process to go back and forth between the two projects as often as you like.

• Fri, Feb 9 2018 3:08 AM In reply to

Re: How Duplicate An Avid Project on Same System as Original?

Thanks for the response! Greatly appreciated. Looks like everything is working as intended.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Avid Media Composer 18.1.0 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller