Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:07 PM by Job ter Burg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 10:07 PM

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,235

Stereo audio tracks

Minor request, but I think stereo audio tracks should be labeled as A3/4, or A7/8 for example (instead of just A3 or A7) and then retaining those track assignmnets when using "Split track to mono". Current behavior when splitting to mono is not predictable.

While on the subject, I really wish there was a more obvious way to way to see or toggle stereo track options before linking or importing rather than digging into the settings dialog. I find it far too easy to do it the wrong way and then have to reimport or relink all over again.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 10:34 PM In reply to

Re: Stereo audio tracks

Why would you need to re-import or relink? Just clip->Modify->Set Multichannel Audio.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 10:55 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,235

Job ter Burg:

Why would you need to re-import or relink? Just clip->Modify->Set Multichannel Audio.

Because I had 30 bins of raw footage and "Modify -> Set Multichannel Audio" is tedious. Why would I do it manually 30 times when linking does it automatically? The Modify also did not stick. Master clips eventually reverted back to the original setting when reopening bins later in the edit process.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:58 AM In reply to

But relink/re-import doesn’t change the amount of bins you have to fix, no?

to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between setting this upon import/link vs setting this after the fact. Same setting, so the setting being lost is a really weird one.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 19 2018 6:26 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,235

When linking with the source browser, I use "Create bin based on folder" almost every time I link so that I can bring in 30 bins with one click.

"Modify" on the other hand has to be done by hand for every bin, it can't be done across multiple bins all at once. In any case, I did a "Modify" on all 30 bins becuase I already had started editing and didn't want to risk screwing everything up, yet all of the master clips continued to reset back to their original stereo/mono track setting even after I did the tedious "Modify" across all 30 bins of footage.

So back to my original feature request: 

I think stereo audio tracks should be labeled as A3/4, or A7/8 for example (instead of just A3 or A7) and then retaining those track assignmnets when using "Split track to mono". Current behavior when splitting to mono is not predictable.

While on the subject, I really wish there was a more obvious way to way to see or toggle stereo track options before linking or importing rather than digging into the settings dialog. I find it far too easy to do it the wrong way and then have to reimport or relink all over again.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 6:28 AM In reply to

wkumingo:

When linking with the source browser, I use "Create bin based on folder" almost every time I link so that I can bring in 30 bins with one click.

"Modify" on the other hand has to be done by hand for every bin

I understand, that makes sense.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 8:01 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

wkumingo:
    Minor request, but I think stereo audio tracks should be labeled as A3/4, or A7/8 for example (instead of just A3 or A7) and then retaining those track assignmnets when using "Split track to mono".

+1

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 10:54 AM In reply to

While I get the request, I think this would seriously eat into the amount of available tracks. Right now, we have 99, which can all be up to 7.1. That means we'd need 792 track numbers to accomodate this. Just sayin: that in itself makes it no minor change.

Also, not sure how a track would look with a track name A1A2A3A4A5A6 for a simple 5.1 track. A1-6 maybe, that could make sense.

Also, it would not be analog to how things work in, say, Pro Tools.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just trying to contribute to a discussion.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 1:31 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

Good points Job, would it be sensible as an option?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:55 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,235

I see the complexities with 5.1 and 7.1 mixes and the 99 track limitation. Does limiting the number of 7.1 tracks make more sense? 12 tracks of 7.1 will fit into 99 tracks, but how many people out there work with more than a dozen simultaneous 7.1 mixes? This is an honest question, I don't know how common it is. Multilingual projects perhaps?

Ultimately this is the reason for the feature request: yesterday I split an "A7" stereo track and it turned into mono A5 & A6 (I would have expected A7 & A8). And the other day I had it go to something like A5 and A6 while another mono track I was working with changed to A10. It just doesn't follow any predicatability.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:07 PM In reply to

I don’t know about the amount of 7.1 tracks in any session, but on current projects I have 4 mono dial tracks, 4 mono sfx tracks, 3 stereo fx tracks, 3 stereo music tracks (with unwrappers to 5.1), 2 5.1 sound design stem tracks, and then need to bounce (audio mixdown) 3 5.1 D/M/E tracks inside the sequence. Those would need to be labeled higher than 16 (and I currently use track numbers 51/52/53 for those). 

Also, I will need to be able to open those sequences two, three years from now, at the very least, in a then current version of MC.

Would a better solution not be to make the destination tracks for splitting to mono user-definable?

My personal preference would be the ability to just drag a stereo element onto two new mono tracks, and vice versa, as one can do on Pro Tools. No ‘split to mono’ necessary then.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller