Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 12:06 AM by Doug Abel. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 13 2018 12:04 AM

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Visually indicate edit modes on client monitor

This one goes back a long way. When in trim mode or effects mode, I wish there was something that could appear on the client's monitor to indicate they can space out or check their email. Nothing is more tedious than being in the room while the editor fixes a music edit or such, and it's equally annoying with the client remarks on something unrealated to what you're working on because they're not sure what the fudge is going on. Or you resume screening and don't realize the client is blissed out checking their Instagram because they think you're still tweaking. Sad

The visual indication could take a number of forms, such as:

• - a border appears and the legend "TRIM MODE" or "EFFECT MODE" appears on the screen
    • - the overall image dims substantially
    • - a red diagonal slash supered over picture

That would not only make clients/producers more productive but allow them to know when we're back into standard editing/screening mode. Whatever the form of the visual indication, it should be jarring enough when it turns on/off to get people's attention again.

Obviously this would be a cofigurable thing that you could set up and then turn on/off with settings or a command.

• Sat, Jan 13 2018 12:39 AM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

Re: Visually indicate edit modes on client monitor

How about blacking out the client monitor? You already have that function -- "Mute Client Monitor" -- it's at the bottom of the timeline, or you can assign it elsewhere. Telling a director not to look at the monitor has never worked for me. But making it go black works like a charm. 

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Mute the monitor is better I think. Customers trying to follow each steps of editing can be a drag. Imagine writting a poem and someone is looking above your shoulder! Not nice. 
    Happily  enough there is no one besides me in my edit room since years already, but I remmber that I send them regularly out to get coffee Big Smile

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 3:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

Sylvaan:

Mute the monitor is better I think. Customers trying to follow each steps of editing can be a drag. Imagine writting a poem and someone is looking above your shoulder! Not nice. 
    Happily  enough there is no one besides me in my edit room since years already, but I remmber that I send them regularly out to get coffee Big Smile

+1

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 12:06 AM In reply to

• Doug Abel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 15
    • Points 165

Blacking out would be fine, and certainly simple to implement, so the feature request would be a setting to make that automatic when I leave source/record editing and enter trim, effects, etc. mode.

(I'll never remember to do it on my own, and it might seem obnoxious if I'm deliberately shutting off the display.)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller