Latest post Thu, Jan 11 2018 2:53 PM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 10 2018 2:25 PM

workflow for archive&records /EDL

Hi all and happy 2018...

I am trying to generate a workflow for archive notes for documentaries which I am regularly producing.

I need to deliver shotlists for footage and edited pieces to my clients. They want content and duration of all clips listed.

EDL is helpful for music sheets since all music library clips have song names.

My footage comes in clip names such as Clip 010011LKZ.

I cannot change these clipnames due to my workflow.

All I can do is to add headers and comments to each clip.

Meaning: Clip 010011LKZ /added comment: Houses added description: Houses with red windows

Is there any way, in EDL or elswhere, to get an edit list of all video clips in a sequence including my commments?

I mean, the sequence refers to the orginal clips - but EDL won't deliver my comments. EDL will only deliver the clipname, in the above example that would be Clip 010011LKZ.

If anyone can think of a workflow, I would highly appreciate it. My films are up to 90 min. long and it seems too much work to write down each single clip's content :-(

Maybe EDL is not the right tool but even "get sequence information " won't help.

Thanks

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Jan 10 2018 4:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,420
    • Points 44,165
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: workflow for archive&records /EDL

In the List Tool for making EDL, under List Options->Both Picture and Sound tab is an option for including the clip comments. Turn that on and clip comments will appear on the line just above the clip name.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Jan 10 2018 5:36 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

thanks so much but --- where do I find the list tool in EDL? Is this an MC 8 option only? I am still on MC 7Hmm

• Wed, Jan 10 2018 10:29 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,420
    • Points 44,165
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The List tool for MC 8 is the EDL manager in MC 7. You need to edit the EDLSettings template. In there you'll find an option to output comments.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jan 11 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

Hello Dave, I checked "comments" in the options list (under edit next to active settings)

Yet comments are not popping up - see screen shot

• Thu, Jan 11 2018 2:53 PM In reply to

Did you try putting Markers on your Sequence and Exporting it’s Text file?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller