Latest post Wed, Jan 10 2018 4:50 AM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 6 2018 8:47 PM

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

Avid >Resolve > Avid mixed resolution issue

I have posted this on the Blackmagic Resolve forum as well as Lift Gamma Gain as I feel it is probably a Resolve issue.  But I am looking for others who may have hit this issue and maybe found a solution.

I have a project in Avid 8.5.3 with both HD and UHD Avid media. I sent an AAF to Resolve 14 and had it link to my media. Resolve was happy, seeing both resolutions correctly.

We need to keep the two resolutions and get back to Avid for further work.

We used the Avid AAF preset in the deliver page and choose "Render at source resolution". We choose DNxHR HQX 10bit as the MXF OP-Atom codec as this will support any raster size.

When I get back to Avid and load the AAF, all of the clips that were native HD will not play. They show a "core consistency error". The clips that were UHD will play.

When I call up the Raster Dimension column of the Avid bin, ALL clips show 3840x2160.

If I inspect one of the clips that should be HD in MediaInfo, it shows a raster dimension of 1920x1080. But there is some extra data fields that looks suspicious.

I have come up with a convoluted work around. But this seems like a Resolve bug to me. Anybody ever done something similar and had better results?

One person suggested the rendering all clips as DNx HR 444 would not have this problem.  We tried this but it did not help - all HD clips still had metadata stating they are UHD and get a Core Consistency error when loaded.

Thanks,
    Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 9:22 PM In reply to

Re: Avid >Resolve > Avid mixed resolution issue

jef:
    I sent an AAF to Resolve 14 and had it link to my media.
    Is your media linked to the original footage? Or is it Transcoded ? Imported to DNx?

Have you tested opening the original footage in Resolve and sending to MC with a Resolve AFF to see if resolve originated media maintains the correct resolution when sent to Avid?

• Sat, Jan 6 2018 11:12 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

AndrewAction:

jef:
    I sent an AAF to Resolve 14 and had it link to my media.
    Is your media linked to the original footage? Or is it Transcoded ? Imported to DNx?

Have you tested opening the original footage in Resolve and sending to MC with a Resolve AFF to see if resolve originated media maintains the correct resolution when sent to Avid?

The workflow was 3.5k from Alexa as ProRes 444 transcoded to DNx HR HQX.  The HD material was Alexa HD ProRes 444 transcoded to DNx 175x.  Edit to taste.

Consolidate for Resolve access.

Need to double check, but I believe that Resolve also sees the media as incorrect after it makes it.

I should add that if we choose to render to ProRes .mov files rather than DNx HR of any flavor, then "Render at Source Resolution" works as advertised.  But a valid AAF can not be created.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Jan 10 2018 4:39 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,463
    • Points 63,390
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Resolve is going to render out your timeline in the codec and resolution you choose in the delivery settings.  Unfortunately, if you ask it to do something weird, it looks like it will do so.  Some workarounds:

1. You could enlarge or reduce all clips to the same size on the timeline in Resolve and choose the appropriate codec.  There are settings that will do this for you without manual intervention.

2. You could seperate your HD and UHD clips onto different timelines and render them out individually with the same settings as the source and combine them when back in Media Composer.

3.  Transcode everything to the same size and codec before leaving Media Composer.  Use ColorTrace in Resolve.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Jan 10 2018 4:50 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

Well, as I noted at the end of my update, Resolve works as advertised and expected IF you choose ProRes as the target codec.  It does not if you choose DNx HR.  This tells me Resolve is having troubles with DNx HR.

This only matters in that the easy round trip does not work easily with ProRes.

All your suggestions are valid and potentially useful in certain situations.  So thanks.

I am hoping the good people working on DaVinci Resolve will see fit to fix this probable bug.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller