Latest post Wed, Jan 10 2018 6:36 AM by Telegram!. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 1 2018 10:18 PM

Merge/combine 2 segments into 1 uncut segment

On video track 1, I have two separate segments that I'd like to somehow merge/combine into one Single uncut segment. 

The way these two segments were created is as follows;

1) create a still image file format  image.PNG  in Photoshop

2) save as PNG with alpha transparent background

3) do NOT import to Media Composer, but instead Link the file into the bin

4) drag and drop it from the bin onto the timeline

5) repeat the drag and drop to the same video track to end up with two separate (but identical) segments one right after the other.

How can I combine them on the timeline such that they ate just like one uncut segment?

Thanks,

HG

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 9:09 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,089
    • Points 13,170

Re: Merge/combine 2 segments into 1 uncut segment

Video Mixdown ?

MC 2018.2 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 24 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 9 2018 5:43 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,210

That's my guess too.

But without an Uncompressed codec option I fear video mixdown will always add a generation of PQ loss.

Fundamentally, auto-proxy should be employed in anything HD or above. FCPX does it right, but has other issues.

Transcoding on MCF clearly does not use a gtx-1080 board.

The more I work with MC, the more I feel LOTS of very old code being used. Avid made, for a major player, only $75K profit in the last QTR. The hire of 2-4 coders would have caused a loss.

Lightworks has the same OLD feeling to it. Resolve also has many decoding and encoding issues, but I'm going to take another look at it. But, it too is based on old concepts.

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 7:08 AM In reply to

tommix:

That's my guess too.

But without an Uncompressed codec option I fear video mixdown will always add a generation of PQ loss.

Render whole Sequence using 1:1 MXF should be great quality.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 9 2018 7:19 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,316
    • Points 16,190

Mark in to out and collapse them.

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 8:49 AM In reply to

You could do a video mixdown but only if there is no requirement to reconform back to the original sources.

The question is why do you need them joined? Why can't they live as two copies of the same clip?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 1:32 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

You could do a video mixdown but only if there is no requirement to reconform back to the original sources.

The question is why do you need them joined? Why can't they live as two copies of the same clip?

Re: Re-conform. What other option does an Avid First customer have if they want to preserve their work and continue editing with a paid-subscription version of Media Composer/Symphony? What are the highest quality options (MXF 1:1?) and is it possible for an Avid First Project/Bin/Sequence to become available in the paid version?

Can a First-created MXF video file (created by Video Mixdown) be archived and eventually placed into service in the MXF folder of the paid MC version? 

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 10 2018 6:36 AM In reply to

Telegram!:

is it possible for an Avid First Project/Bin/Sequence to become available in the paid version?

Based on the info presented in the pinned Media Composer First “General Q & A - Released 6.29.17” link:

”....open bins.... this functionality will be added at a later date.”

I think that is very smart policy, especially for the next Soderberg or Campion, if they create something award-winning and important using Media Composer First.

In the meantime, it looks like First does provide some useful MC tools such as Sequence Report and the Generator/Time Code FX, which can help keep track of original edits to some extent.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller