Latest post Fri, Dec 29 2017 9:22 PM by AndrewAction. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 29 2017 3:26 AM

How To Get still image to stay the entire sequence

I added a still image from photoshop (PNG) but after I add it to one of the video tracks in the timeline, I can't get it to stay for the entire duration of the sequence.  The duration of the still image in the timeline is only about 30 seconds and I need it to be forty five minutes (the duration of the entire show).

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 5:07 AM In reply to

Re: How To Get still image to stay the entire sequence

This is tyhe method used in standard MC and SHOULD be the same in MC | First.  (No way of testing this in MC First here at present)

Import the Image. (File>Input>Import media)
    In the Select Files to Input Dialog Box choose Options
    In the Import Settings Page >Image tab Look for the Frame Duration options.

Set the a duration, in seconds, longer than your timeline (46x60 for example)
    Set the rest of your image options (like the best media quality you will ever want this image to be)  AND DO NOT select Auto detect Sequential files.

You will now have a 46 minutes of media to edit into your timeline.  Do not worry about the amount of space this image media will use.  The 46 minutes of Avid High resolution media will take up the same space as would be created for a 1 Frame clip at the same settings.  (Probably substantially) less than 20 Mb's

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 4:35 PM In reply to

ok, thank you so much. i'll try that method this evening.

Also, I got a message that said that the reason it won't let me change the clip duration, is because the clip is not a "master file".  So is there a way to import this PNG file such that Avid sees it as a "master file"?  In the future I will probably want to import other files as "master files". 

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 6:01 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    The 46 minutes of Avid High resolution media will take up the same space as would be created for a 1 Frame clip at the same settings. 

I never knew this...   All this time, I was calculating how long the still needed to be and importing only that time length.  Thanks for the info.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 9:22 PM In reply to

mrhgdomenech:
    it won't let me change the clip duration, is because the clip is not a "master file".
    I assume you are importing a graphic with an Alpha Channel.  Avid treats these file differently creating a Matte Key clip (with a mask layer and a fill layer) so they are not "Master Clips" and as the message says you cannot change their duration's.  As the Imported media's file size on your media drive does not change with duration the simple solution is to always import significantly longer clips than you will ever need.

If you import without the Alpha channel a Master Clip is created and the clip duration can be modified.  But this is not straight forward. You need to UnLink the clip. Modify the start and end times and then (maybe did not test this) ReLink the clip or Batch Re-Import the clip.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller