Latest post Sat, Dec 23 2017 5:33 AM by luca.mg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 22 2017 8:32 PM

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Washington State
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

A way to quickly re-import files that were imported before power loss?

Here's the set-up:  I was importing a bunch of files overnight into my Avid system (Composer 7.0, PC), and was near the end of the import process when I lost power.  As expected, when I restarted the computer later, and opened the program and the bin I was importing the files into, there was nothing there, because my system doesn't do any auto-saves while batch importing (is there a way to change that, by the way?).  So while most of the files DID get copied onto the hard drive, because I can see them in my ../AvidMediaFiles/MXF/1 folder, they don't show up as media files in my project.  I know I can just re-import them, but thought I might save myself a 12-hour import session if there is some way to quickly "relink" existing .mxf files that were imported already but not saved in the project bin.  Any suggestions or thoughts? TIA.

Windows 10, 64-bit Intel Core i9-9900 CPU @3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro P600 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 22 2017 8:54 PM In reply to

Re: A way to quickly re-import files that were imported before power loss?

Use the old trick.

Trash the media databases in that MXF/1 folder. Let MC rebuild them. Then drag msmMMOB.mdb to an empty bin.

All the valid clips in that 1 folder will be listed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:18 PM In reply to

Try opening a new bin and add the Creation Date column to your bin view.  Then drag the msmMMOB.mdb file from your Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder into this bin.

The bin will populate with ALL the MEDIA CLIPS in the 1 folder.
    Go to the Creation Date column and Sort  (Ctrl E) to get the bin started with the newest imported clips at the top.

Select from the top clip to the first clip of your import.
    Create another new bin and move the selected clips into this Bin.  These should be all of the imports that were successful before the power cut.

Rename the original bin created in this process to Duplicate clips. FWIW I prefer to make a Duplicate Clips folder and move the bin into that.

Alternately if you know what you are doing and take great care you can select all the clips left in the first bin and hit Delete.  MAKE SURE you ONLY have "Delete Master Clips" selected in the pop up dialog box.   

(IT will be a complete disaster loosing you all of your previous media in the 1 folder if you mistakenly checked the Associated Media Files option in the delete dialog box.)

• Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:26 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Washington State
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

THANKS!  IT WORKED!  I could hug you.  I just created a new bin, dragged the .mdb file in (didn't know you could even do that!), and just selected the files I needed and dragged them back into the original folder.  I will definitely be keeping this trick in mind for future reference, as this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened.  I'll still have to re-import the file that was being processed when I lost power, but this saves me a ton of time.  Thanks again!

Windows 10, 64-bit Intel Core i9-9900 CPU @3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro P600 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 23 2017 5:33 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,582
    • Points 65,470

To be precise: there's no need to import the mdb file from the media folder, opening the media tool will suffice, You can  easily retrive Your clips digging among those belonging to the current project only, while drag and dropping the mdb file will populate the target bin with all the online clips in Your system, belonging to whichever project.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller