Latest post Wed, Dec 20 2017 7:43 PM by Atomike. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 9:40 AM

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,565

13 days left!

Just saying!

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 9:52 AM In reply to

Re: 13 days left!

Yup. So excited I upgraded to a second Symphony license.

Well, one can hope...

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 10:02 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,565

I'm fully expecting it to be under my Christmas tree on the morning of the 25th.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 11:14 AM In reply to

I requested a new Sony BVM-X300 under the tree... I'll stick with a  pvm-14l2 until the new color correction supports 64K raster 32bit color depth at 480fps. Sigh... 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:44 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 716
    • Points 10,930

The most amusing part is the box next to the one highlighted - that confirms a new title tool will be available 8 months ago! I can't wait until this past April!!  

Media Composer 18.4 (usually newest release, but not now because of the blue-tint bug). Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Dec 18 2017 5:15 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,565

Atomike:

The most amusing part is the box next to the one highlighted - that confirms a new title tool will be available 8 months ago! 

Isn't that the Newblue titler? To be fair to Avid, it doesn't say it has to their title tool.

• Mon, Dec 18 2017 10:29 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 716
    • Points 10,930

No, they have been very specific it is a revision to the Avid Title Tool, and is most certainly not the NewBlue Titler.  There was just a post recently that it will arrive some time in 2018.  So that whole road map is about a year behind already. 

At this rate, I expect getting Blending Modes some time in late 2027.  Stick out tongue

Media Composer 18.4 (usually newest release, but not now because of the blue-tint bug). Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 9:35 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 517
    • Points 6,565

Atomike:
    No, they have been very specific it is a revision to the Avid Title Tool, and is most certainly not the NewBlue Titler.

I don't know which people at Avid had been this specific, but I got this email yesterday from the ACA (Avid customer association) and they clearly think they've already delivered on this 'Next Gen Title Tool'.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

Last year’s inaugural Avid Customer Association (ACA) Vote has led to action from Avid, with over 60 of the items requested last year already delivered—and more to come.

A sample of the top rated items that were released this year as a direct result of the inaugural vote include:

• Next Gen Title Tool to support HD resolution and provide in-context editing
    • Matchframe and Find Bin for Mattes, Keys and Titles
    • Media Composer simplified user experience
    • List Tool improvements
    • Perf Slip Syncing allowed in all project types
    • And more!

What will Avid deliver in 2018? YOU have the power to decide!

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 9:57 AM In reply to

This is the reason I (and a few others I know of) have not participated in the ACA initiative. Simply said, the way the amount of marketing and self indulgence reflect in the credibility of the information presented is not acceptable in my case.

That doesn't mean I consider the ACA a bad initiative, or something Avid should stop investing in. We received a feature roadmap and that, regardless of its totally inaccurate time table, is great progress compared to the old silence of Avid.

As soon as Avid is ready to put its money where its mouth is, I might reconsider but the current 2 steps forward, 3 steps back approach is not helping.  

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,814
    • Points 213,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

AFAIK the new Title Tool is a 2018 deliverable. 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:17 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,571
    • Points 59,725

To be fair, Avid has added some incredible improvements to MC this year. Of that list:

* Next Gen Title Tool to support HD resolution and provide in-context editing
    * Matchframe and Find Bin for Mattes, Keys and Titles
    * Media Composer simplified user experience
    * List Tool improvements
    * Perf Slip Syncing allowed in all project types

The 'Next Gen Title Tool' is certainly missing from the product but things like match frame of mattes and titles and the ability to link to mattes of a different frame rates are huge improvements for many users. In all my years of using MC, I have never seen the product evolve at its current pace. I suspect there are many changes under the hood that are necessary before we see things like blending modes. For example, there was a huge initiative this year to support hi-res monitors (and multi-monitors of different resolutions). I suspect this consumed considerable development and testing resources. This one didn't even appear on the above list and yet many of you have been asking for this for more than a year now.
    Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 10:35 PM In reply to

We need Next Gen Title Tool to support 4K resolution not just HD.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Dec 19 2017 10:54 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,571
    • Points 59,725

I wonder if people have some expectation that the 'Next Gen' title tool will be more than just the old title tool modified to support 4K?

That would be a shame. I would think we would be expecting something that allows for title animation and effects (something that can be both used for simple static effects as well as more complex, keyframed animations). Maybe I'm wrong about people's expectations.

At the moment, there are a number of titling solutions in MC to support 4K (RED, Title Studio, Titler Pro). The general concensus is that these options are all too complicated to use for simple titles... but as soon as you want something more than a simple static title or credit roll - what is your go-to solution? After Effects?

A solution that allows you to stay in MC would have certain advantages. I actually quite like Titler Pro. Of the three solutions I mentioned above, it is by far the easiest to use once you get past the initial learning curve.

Anyone on this thread care to share their expectations for a the basic feature set of the 'Next Gen' title tool? I'm curious.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Dec 20 2017 11:55 AM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    Anyone on this thread care to share their expectations for a the basic feature set of the 'Next Gen' title tool? I'm curious.

While not restricted to the title tool... it's just one word: UNICODE. Both on Mac and PC.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Dec 20 2017 7:43 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 716
    • Points 10,930

I hope that Avid looks at what Adobe has for its title tool in Premiere Pro.

It's SO much better than anything Avid has ever done in titling.  

But the most important thing is that titles look sharp.  Currently, the title tool in Avid creates the softest text you'll find in any application.  Even hacking the tool in the console doesn't fix the problem. The aliasing is just wrong when you do that.

If After Effects (and other software) can create titles that look amazing, then Media Composer should be able to do something just as good. There is not an excuse in the world that can account for the disparity between Avid's titles, and those from Adobe. If Avid can't get titles right in 2018, then they should literally just give up and sell the software to developers who can. I'm hoping the team can deliver something great.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller