Latest post Tue, Dec 12 2017 6:39 PM by luca.mg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 11 2017 12:28 PM

MC 8.9.3 duplicates sequence into thin air - lost an hour of work

Editing a sequence, I made a duplicate. Worked on it. Saved. Closed MC. Reopened after working a different project. Opened bin. Sequence gone. WTF?

So, duplicated the old sequence. THE NEW SEQUENCE DOES NOT SHOW UP IN THE BIN. Using Find Bin MC tells me that it would be located in a bin named 'Color Correction Presets'.

I had a lot of crashes with Avid in my life, but never lost more that 5 minutes of work. Thats a new one. Really angry right now.

Super Angry

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 11 2017 12:55 PM In reply to

Re: MC 8.9.3 duplicates sequence into thin air - lost an hour of work

By now I found that it´s already reported as bug

Super Angry

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 11 2017 2:18 PM In reply to

• Mat Linnett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • root6 - A Jigsaw24 Company
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Hi Thomas;

Sorry to hear of your trouble!

Have you checked your attic to see if there's a recent copy of the bin saved there?

To find your attic, please refer to this KB article:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Avid-Attic-Locations-for-local-shared-and-synced-projects

Once you have found the attic, you will see it contains folders named after your projects. Each of these contains a folder called "Bins", which in turn holds copies of bins associated with your project that are saved off at regular intervals. The default autosave interval is 15 minutes (found in "Bin" settings).

Once you've identified the file you want, copy it, paste it to your desktop and remove the numeral suffix (ie: .1), then make sure the file has the correct bin suffix (.avb).

You can then open this copy of your bin in Media Composer.

Apologies if you have already tried this, but if not, I hope you are able to find your sequence!

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:02 PM In reply to

Hi Mat,

yes I went to the attic, but as the bin in question does not really exist, there is no attic copy of it. At least I didn´t see any named 'Color Correction Presets'.

That´s what makes this so mean, attic is usually a lifesaver...

I will look out for this behaviour, maybe it´s already fixed in 8.9.4, which I installed immediately after...

Cheers Thomas

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:05 PM In reply to

Forum´s kinda lagging as well, oh my...

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,083
    • Points 203,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thomas

Not sure what you mean by this " Forum´s kinda lagging as well, oh my...".....

Explain

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:47 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

I double posted because my answer post just wasn´t there after sending it, so I wrote it again, and after I posted the second one, my first post showed. Guess the server is busy... Not my day today with computers Wink

Cheers Thomas

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:53 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,083
    • Points 203,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thomas - you still stuck?

email me if you are... address below

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 12 2017 1:13 PM In reply to

I have had several cases of bins vanishing lately.  Lots of work lost.  Nothing in the attic, nothing in the project.  Very odd.

MC/SN 8.9.4 x15 Z400/420/440 PC's 1x Mac, PT 12.8.1 HDX all on PCs. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 12 2017 3:20 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,570

I usally back up my project/sequences frequently on an external hard drive - just in case a sequence gets lost.  I realize it is  time consuming  and a pain -  however when working on a edit sometimes I do not alwys use this method.  So I sure hope avid addresses this issue-  Not sure if I will upgrade until I know for sure this problem is resolved.

thank you

Symphony 2018.4 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,32gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media drive,matrox mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 12 2017 6:39 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,246
    • Points 61,590

Do not know if this applies to the OP, but I've seen this happening only once in over 25 years of Avid editing, and it was probably due to operator error: after one of those error messages that pop up following a software error I was given the option to exit or continue, I continued, just to find out on the following day that the changes were not saved, even if MC appeared to be saving while I kept working. Four hours of work vanished. Ever since then I exit and restart the all computer when I am given the option to either continue or quit following an error/crash/whatever. The attic did not save me, since all of the safety bin copies were the same, not updated after the malfunction, and a backup would have been useless, since the Avid was appearing to save, while in fact saved the bin without writing the changes to the sequence. Never understood the reason behind this, but lesson learned: quit MC after an error message, and to make sure no faulty code is preserved in RAM restart the computer too.

Symphony 2018.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller