Latest post Wed, Dec 13 2017 9:12 PM by jef. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 7 2017 8:38 AM

• EspenGjerm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 7 2017
    • Posts 0
    • Points 0

Avid Media Composer: Issue with MXF-folders that share the same name

Hi!

I have been working in Avid MC 8.9 on a tv-series on a NEXIS server for a while, and suddenly some clips showed up as offline. I read a lot on this forum and others, and the common suggestion was to delete the database-files located in the MXF folders. So I did that, and MC started to recreate the database files. But this didn't seem to do the trick.

While I was in the MXF folders (never touched the folders before) I noticed that MC had named some folders very similarly (due to the mac i am working on having formatted and reset its harddrive at some point). The folders were named; "Triton’s iMac__bg.1" and the other "Tritons iMac__bg.1". I am guessing the issue lies here, because I can find the offline files in the "Tritons iMac__bg.1"-folder.

Any help is much appreciated, as I have no clue how to handle this issue.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 13 2017 9:12 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,122
    • Points 37,860

Re: Avid Media Composer: Issue with MXF-folders that share the same name

The _bg.1 tells you that someone did a background operation at some point. You should also have MXF folder labeled something like"Triton's Mac.1"

I generally move stuff out of the _bg folders to a "normal" folder and let Avid rebuild the database.  And in a shared storage environment, the name of the MXF folder is critical to whether Avid will attempt to rebuild the database or not.  Avid will only rebuild databases for MXF folders which have the name of the computer you are useing with a .x (x being a number).

If the computer's name was changed, Avid will still be able to see and use material in the old folders.  But nothing new added them will be indexed and seen.

Hope that info helps some.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller