Latest post Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:32 PM by BobRusso. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:00 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,665

90%+ full workspaces

Hi,

In the past, on Unity, I recall always keeping my workspaces below 85% because performace could degrade as they got fuller. Now with the Nexis being a software defined storage architecture I am curious if maxing out workspaces is an issue (other than having no available space for media).  It's my understanding that with software defined storage it's fine to hit 99% full workspaces as they will have no impact on any other workspaces.

Does anyone have any thoughts or info related to this?  Our Nexis system has plenty of storage and I don't need to hit these high percentages but I am curious how the system handles this.

Thanks.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:32 PM In reply to

Re: 90%+ full workspaces

With ISIS 7x00 the requirement was to leave the space of an ISB so that in the event one failed, there was enough room in the storage group so that it could be removed. With the 5x00 there was no technical requirement except that it's never a good idea to fill any file system up 100% so the recommendation was to leave 5% headroom.

In both cases the recommendation was to create a workspace that equaled the amount and not allow users to have access to it. If needed the workspace could be deleted and the space is made available.

There's no specific requirement to leave unused space on NEXIS except for that you can't write any files. I would recommend doing something similar to what we recommended with the 5x00 and create a workspace with no user access incase the space is needed.

Unity MediaNet was very different from ISIS in this respect.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller