Latest post Fri, Dec 8 2017 1:02 PM by Job ter Burg. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 12:49 PM

JUST A TICK

I haven't seen anything so simple not being implemented in MC all of those years.

JUST A TICK at any clip or media used in a timeline.

So that the editor can remember if it was used already.

We have had that in Liquid and it was very helpful.

So please just add a tick to already (used) media in a timeline.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 3:24 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: JUST A TICK

George

I sent this along to Kate and Randy.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 3:49 PM In reply to

Bin of clips open. Sequence bin open select sequence select show media relatives from bin fast menu. All clips used in sequence are highlighted. Reverse selection and you now have selected all clips not used.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 8:36 PM In reply to

This takes ages.

A simple tick would be nicer.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 10:49 PM In reply to

The bin with the sequence must already be open for the sequence to be loaded.

The rest is a few seconds.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Dec 5 2017 11:46 PM In reply to

Just thinking aloud about how this would work.

Where would the tick mark show up? In frame view? In text view? In script view?

I assume the tick would appear and disappear depending on what sequence was loaded into the record monitor.

Like Pat suggests, I use "Show Media Relatives" to see what's been used, and in addition I assign a color to used clips to separate them visually.

Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 2:03 AM In reply to

Is the existing, (very precise) Dupe detection Timeline tool not good enough because it only kicks in, becoming visible once the repeated section of a clip is encountered only after its placement on the timeline?

Unless you want to just see from ANY bin which clip/object has at least some section used in the currently loaded Sequence, before you do anything with it, then perhaps some kind of Automatic Reverse Matchframe (Setting) upon load into the Source Monitor is what you want?

But if it’s just a visual indicator alongside clips/objects inside any bin, then maybe all you need is a Custom Sift hot key or built-in Sift Option that does what Pat suggested above with a toggle.

I suppose Liquid had a really ingenious way of tracking and updating those TICKS, but now I’m curious exactly how it worked... and just how versatile it was.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 6 2017 9:51 AM In reply to

So I have 500 clips in a bin.

And I use the 95.

And I don't want to use any of those again.

None of the above will help as it will do things even worse.

In which way having media names in a bin used in a sequence can help with that?

I will compare one by one? I mean the 95 clips with what? 

ONLY a tick in icon view or a new column header in other views that will say something like

"clip or media used" can help.

And I really don't understand how editors work when they have tens of takes of a clip and other clips.

I think this will only improve MC editing capabilities and speed.

P.S. Dupe Detection is for finding duplicate clips.

Desktop

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 10:42 AM In reply to

George Angeludis:

In which way having media names in a bin used in a sequence can help with that?

I will compare one by one? I mean the 95 clips with what? 

ONLY a tick in icon view or a new column header in other views that will say something like

"clip or media used" can help.

You're misunderstanding Pat's explanation. You have 500 clips in a bin and you used 95 of them:

1. Open the bin with the 500 clips.

2. Click on your sequence in the bin to highlight it.

3. From the bin fast menu click on Select Media Relatives.

Now the 95 clips you used in your sequence are highlighted in the bin from step 1. That's how you know which ones you've used so far in the sequence.

I add this step so I don't have to repeat steps 1-3.

4. Add a clip color to the clips highlighted in step 3 to show they've been used in the sequence.

Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:01 AM In reply to

I didn't misunderstood. I know about this solution. I thank Pat and you too.

I just need to add a better, newer, simpler, faster option to MC editing capabilities.

Desktop

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:10 AM In reply to

I used some avi clips because my really old Liquid which still can run on W10, cant import mp4 or other formats.

However it can illustrate what I say.

The used clip is only ticked (and only in icon view) when I open the sequence which contains it.

How simple effective and efficient is this.

Desktop

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:14 AM In reply to

George Angeludis:

I didn't misunderstood. I know about this solution. I thank Pat and you too.

Sorry, George, I thought you weren't getting it.

George Angeludis:

I just need to add a better, newer, simpler, faster option to MC editing capabilities.

It's not a bad idea. Would the tick marks appear and dissappear depending on what sequence was loaded? I assume they'd have to, but I don't know.

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:31 AM In reply to

See my post below Carl.

I think I was the one who asked for such a feature in Liquid and they gave it to us and if I also remember well too

there were Avid's writers who did that.

But I also think that it's easy for them and many will benefit from such a simple solution.

After all it's Just a tick :)

Desktop

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 11:35 AM In reply to

I like that idea. It would need to be limited to the active sequence in the Record Monitor, I presume? Otherwise all shots in any use version would be ticked.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 6 2017 3:16 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I like that idea. It would need to be limited to the active sequence in the Record Monitor, I presume? Otherwise all shots in any use version would be ticked.

Yes

Desktop

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller