Latest post Mon, Dec 4 2017 10:34 PM by AndrewAction. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 4 2017 7:19 PM

• James Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

AMC to DaVinci from imported proxy

I have a question about an offline edit, which comprises a 110 minute feature film sequence, the media of which was originally imported to AMC at DNxHD36 for ease of editing on a Windows PC laptop. I now need to provide the colourist (using DaVinci) with the sequence at full-res media. He is on a Mac and has asked for the material to be put on a 128 GB memory stick to avoid PC/Mac compatibility issues. Obviously, there will be some level of 'consolidation' going on, since the original rushes/material amount to 600 GB, but could anyone suggest a potential workflow?
    Avid Media Composer 8.3 running on HP Pavilion G6, Windows 10. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 4 2017 10:18 PM In reply to

• Deckar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 4 2006
    • Montreal
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Re: AMC to DaVinci from imported proxy

Hey James

can give you a few hints since we do that kind of workflow on a regular basis.

Our roundtrip is:

-Create proxy in Davinci Resolve 

-Edit in MC

-Export AAF

-Import AAF in Davinci Resolve

-Relink to sources files in Davinci

-Consolidated from Davinci to new Drive (optional)

-Grade

If your proxy were done correctly, it usually pretty straightforward. You can use the free version of Davinci Resolve to do the conform, the project will be compatible with the paid version. As I said tho, you're proxy need to be done correctly to do so, meaning they kept the originals files names and timecode. As an example, if you imported the clips into MC (instead of linking and transcoding) Avid generate a new timecode (unless you are doing a fast import from DNxHD or ProRes).

For the delivery of the consolidated media, you don't necessarily need a memory stick; they are usually PC and MAC compatible because they are formatted in Fat32, but this format type won't allow files bigger than 4Gb which could be a problem for your media. You could buy MacDrive or Paragon HTFS to be able to read and write MAC drive, pretty useful.

-Symphony 8.7 /BlackMagic / dual Xeon 12core / 64gb Ram / Win10 / 16Tb Raid 5 -Symphony Nitris 8.4.4/ 16gb RAM /Win7 / 8Tb Raid 5 -Media Composer/ 8... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 4 2017 10:34 PM In reply to

Re: AMC to DaVinci from imported proxy

My suggested workflow would be.  To practice (test) the process below for all the steps but with a new test timeline of only a few clips.  Have the Colourist check the process works for him.

Make video (at DNx HD36)  and Audio mixdowns of your final timeline.
    Create a new timeline with just these mixdowns and export this timeline as Same as Source movie. Name this Movie something that indicates this is a reference movie. Resolve has a design feature that allows reference videos to be used separately from actual media.

Duplicate your final timeline into a new bin.
    Select this duplicate and choose Batch import with appropriate handles and selecting the option that allows MC to create a new timeline. Ideally I would set the import media destination to a portable USB drive that does not currently have any Avid Media on it.  Set the Media quality to what is requested by the Colourist.
    Assuming no Audio work is going to be done in Resolve I would duplicate the timeline created with the Batch Import into a new bin. and then delete the audio tracks.
    Then Export a Video only AAF with Linked media.
    Copy the USB portable drives Avid MediaFiles folder onto the 128GB Memory stick (Assuming it will fit. FWIW A 90 minute sequence with 25 frame handles here at DNx 185 was about 114GB's. Copy the Same as Source Reference video. (Has the source audio media audio for timing)

The colourist copies the whole Avid MediaFiles folder to the root level of his media drive and can link to the media in the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder from his Resolve Project. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller