Latest post Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:19 PM by Scott. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 29 2017 8:32 PM

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 30 2011
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Can't Remove Blank Space at End of Timeline

After editing down an existing timeline by a few seconds, I have not been able to remove the blank space at the end of the timeline.  (I've been an Avid user for 15+ years, and this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue!)  I've done all the things I always did--set the in/out points and hit "X" and it has always worked until just now.  I've tried re-inserting material and deleting it.  I can lengthen the timeline with filler material just fine, but when I remove it, it reverts back to its original length (28;30;00), even though there's only about 28 mins of material.  I've got to think there's some obscure box or setting that got accidentally checked or unchecked that has locked my timeline length, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.  The only "workaround" I have found thus far is to "select-in/out" the entire video (minus the blank space I don't want) and copy-and-paste it into a new blank sequence, which then gives me the desired length.  But I have many timelines I need to do this with, and it seems unnecessarily cumbersome step, especially since it's a brand new issue for me. Has this happened to anybody else?  Any thoughts?  Much appreciated!

Windows 7, 64-bit Intel Core i7 CPU @2.93 GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 29 2017 9:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,804
    • Points 212,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Can't Remove Blank Space at End of Timeline

Before I start chasing this down Scott.... what version of MC are you on?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 30 2017 12:47 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Marianna:

Before I start chasing this down Scott.... what version of MC are you on?

Marianna

I'm using Media Composer 7.0 with  Interplay / Intensity Pro on PC.

Windows 7, 64-bit Intel Core i7 CPU @2.93 GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 30 2017 2:15 AM In reply to

Have you tried lengthening your timeline with an overwrite edit (all V and A tracks) using actual media? I have a favourites bin with Black video media with multiple tracks of tone that I have found useful for this issue.  In the past overwrite editing a good length of this clip from where I want the timeline to end to beyond the current end and then cutting this last edit has fixed the "Can't Remove Blank Space at end of Timeline" issue for me.

A variation of this would be to make the Mark Out for the cut edit above 1 frame from the end.  Then remove the 1 frame, if necessary.

• Thu, Nov 30 2017 10:30 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 443
    • Points 5,195

seen this a few times.

if memory serves, i created a new timeline and copied my edit over.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 1 2017 3:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,804
    • Points 212,940
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Lukas - thats the best solution since the issue is most often a corrupt timeline....

Try that Scott and report back. I suggest you upgrade if you can to the last version of the 7.x code base from the DL denter

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Dec 22 2017 9:19 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Not Ranked
    • Utah
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Thanks all, and sorry for the long delay in thanking.  (Supposedly I'm supposed to receive email notifications when someone replies but that didn't happen in my case, so I figured there was no activity on the thread until I checked up on it just now.)   I ended up just selecting in/out before exporting, which I knew I could always do (but was kind of an annoying unnecessary step) but I will try these solutions in the future.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller