Latest post Wed, Nov 22 2017 3:57 PM by RalphC. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 17 2017 6:35 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 730
    • Points 11,135

iLok error message

Today I did a fresh install of Windows and Media Composer, which I hoped would help with some issues I've been having.  One issue that seems to have NOT been resolved is a warning message I had been getting fairly frequently about a problem with licensing iLok.  This occured on startup of MC.

After the fresh OS install, I'm still getting this message.  All of the iLok stuff, I'm guessing, probably should have auto-installed with Media Composer, but there still seems to be underlying issues with the iLok system.  Currenly, I'm downloading the iLok manager separately to see if that helps, but this is certainly an unwelcome problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?  My last few problems were unique to my system, and so I'm reluctant to raise any red flags since this very well may also be unique to my setup.

EDIT: Doing a separate install of the iLok software seems to have done the trick, and the error message seems to have disappeared.  Although the iLok company itself raises red-flags with Windows on install (drivers unsigned or whatever).  The company itself seems a little shady that way (I guess all DRM software is, by its nature, fairly underhanded and ethically questionable). But it's working, so that's that.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Nov 17 2017 7:12 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: iLok error message

Hi Atomike,

Often the issue is with the Pace license not running in the service, I set mine to Automatic no delay and it works okay.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 17 2017 7:14 PM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,975

We often get the ILok error on MC 8.6.5 & MC 8.9.3 at Windows 7 & Windows 10 machines. It seems the Ilok driver isnt loaded yet after the windows start. Just wait 2-3 minutes and then start your MC. If the Error message shows up, choose quit MC, wait about 2 minutes and restart. This works for us.

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 17 2017 10:08 PM In reply to

fsm:
    We often get the ILok error on MC 8.6.5 & MC 8.9.3 at Windows 7 & Windows 10 machines. It seems the Ilok driver isnt loaded yet after the windows start.
    To question  this, and maybe help find what is wrong with the MC Pace/ iLok setup, I have to say that I have not had these issues with  any MC8.0 or later version with Windows 7 or 10. 

I have a late version of  iLok Manager installed and whichever version of Pace comes with the MC installer on all computers.  I do have iLok's with licences for Avid audio plug-ins authorized connected to these computers. My Pace loading is set to auto though there is no difference between that and manual or delayed.  These factors suggest to me that the issue arises from the Application Manager. (From memory these issues started with the introduction of the Application manager.

When starting and after identifying that no iLok is present the Application Manager has to identify whether any of the audio plug ins require a Pace related authorization. i.e The MC startup default is to require Pace/ iLok until the Application Manager tells it that Pace is not required.  Maybe the error message at this time is due to the pause in loading at this point is not long enough to reliably receive the no Pace required confirmation. 

fsm:
    If the Error message shows up, choose quit MC, wait about 2 minutes and restart. This works for us.
    If my theory holds water then this could be explained by the Application Managers cache being speedy enough to confirm that no Pace authorisations are required.

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 8:28 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,445

Don't have the rocket scientist's answer but if I fire up MC soon after log into Windows I get the ilok error message, while if I wait a while before running MC I do not get the error; I think some time has to be allowed for services to fully start and get up to speed. Cannot say how long that takes, I just log into Windows and check the email, or get the first coffee break of the day, before starting MC. HTH :-)

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 3:44 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,855
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

THe iLok license manager service  and Pace service should both be set to delayed start. This means that they don't start up until after Windows has completely booted (there are system resources needed that aren't there till late in the boot process). Exactly how long it takes for the services to start after boot is dependent on your system.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 4:49 PM In reply to

DStone:

THe iLok license manager service  and Pace service should both be set to delayed start. 

Where and how do you set the Pace service to delayed start?

MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe, ATX, Intel X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, Intel LGA1366, 6xDDR3 1600MHz, PCI-E V2.0, On-board Soundkarte. CP: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 19 2017 5:44 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,855

In the Windows services panel (for Win 8/10, right-click the Windows icon and choose Computer Management; for Win 7 right-click the My PC entry in the file explorer and choose Manage). In the management page you'll see Services and Applications. Double click that and you'll see another page for Services (why they make you do this twice I'll never understand). Double click on Services and you'll be in the services manager. Scroll down and check the status of the iLok service (if there) and the Pace service (which will be there). If it's not set to delayed start, right click on it and choose Properties. Set the Startup type to Automatic - Delayed.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 11:11 AM In reply to

DStone:
    Scroll down and check the status of the iLok service (if there) and the Pace service (which will be there).

Pace service is there, I set the startup type to Automatic-Delayed already. However iLok service is NOT there.

MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe, ATX, Intel X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, Intel LGA1366, 6xDDR3 1600MHz, PCI-E V2.0, On-board Soundkarte. CP: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:48 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,572
    • Points 45,855

It looks like Pace is the only service you have to have running for iLok in order to run MC.

Dave S.

• Wed, Nov 22 2017 3:57 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,840
    • Points 20,340
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

DStone:
    It looks like Pace is the only service you have to have running for iLok in order to run MC.

Agree with Dave.

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller