Latest post Sun, Nov 12 2017 3:01 PM by Ed Torr. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 10 2017 5:33 AM

• Avdmax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 4 2014
    • Posts 14
    • Points 145

AMA Workflow issue.

Here's our situation: We're looking at multiple shows that were edited using AMA-transcoded media.  That got the team through offline, but now that we're in Finishing we're seeing significant banding and artifacting on much of the footage.  The problem does not seem to be the result of the resolution during the AMA transcode process.   No matter how high we go with the resolution, we still get artifacts.  The artifacting is not on the original footage.

The clips in question all originiated from ProRes files, brought in via AMA and then transcoded to DNxHD.

If, instead of AMA-transcoding, we import the same ProRes files and choose "preserve original resolution" the clips look great.  Even when layers are added on top of the footage and rendered, exported, etc. the quality is excellent.

So the solution we're potentially facing involves re-importing all the ProRes footage and manually cutting it over the existing AMA-transcoded footage.  Unfortuantely that's just about the entire show across multiple shows.  To add insult to injury AMA-transcodes seem to be oblivious to the full OS file paths their source footage -- lost presumably during the AMA transcoding process; all we know are the original file names.  And the source files themselves are scattered across multiple folders, down various convoluted paths without much rhyme or reason, with a significant number of duplicate file names involved, on ISIS storage that can't be searched via standard Apple Finder search for lack of Apple-friendly drive indexes.

So some questions:

- Is there some way of easily listing the original full file paths from the AMA-transcoded master clips?  Or is that info lost in the AMA-transcode workflow?

- Is there some existing way of batch importing from original media into the master clips that were generated by AMA transcodes?

- Is there some way of replicating the "preserve original resolution" option that auto pops when importing, but available in an AMA-transcode workflow?

• Fri, Nov 10 2017 8:52 PM In reply to

Re: AMA-Transcoded Media vs Imported Media -- switching from one to the other

AMA transcoding deons't and shouldn't lose source file neame and source path. It has to be retained for relinking to work.

Only modifying the tape name causes a loss of source path and hence why its not used in file based workflows (we use tape id instead)

Banding is normally caused by moving from 10bit to 8 bit media and or grading the levels up for dark content.

If the source is Prores and you are on a mac (which you kust be to import as Prores) why aren't you just consolidating the AMA linked media?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Nov 10 2017 9:33 PM In reply to

• Avdmax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 4 2014
    • Posts 14
    • Points 145

RE "AMA transcoding deons't and shouldn't lose source file neame and source path"

It doesn't lose the original file name, but we're not able to see where it retains the original source path.

We're not dealing with AMA clips. Those do know their original source paths.

But we're dealing with AMA-transcoded media.  I'm not aware they link to anything but Avid media.  Not even sure if they can be re-linked to anything other than that Avid media.  Looking forward to finding out otherwise.

RE "Banding is normally caused by moving from 10bit to 8 bit media and or grading the levels up for dark content."

In this case we're not sure of the cause of the banding.

What we do know is that traditional importing and choosing to 'preserve' the original resolution as opposed to AMA-transcoding resolves the banding issue.  We're not able to resolve it by any approach involving AMA.

• Sat, Nov 11 2017 3:21 PM In reply to

AMA linked clips have a column heading source path and source file name when you transcode both should be retained.

Transcoded clips should still retain the original Source file path (its needed when an AMA workflow is reconformed)

Have you tried consolidating AMA linked media? That should be the same as importing?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

-

• Sun, Nov 12 2017 3:01 PM In reply to

• Ed Torr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2017
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Have not tested that yet.  I was not aware of the AMA "consolidate" option.  Sounds promising.  Can't test until Monday.  Thanks Pat!

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 3:50 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 85
    • Points 905

Hi Pat I recall that you consolidate your Ama audio, how do you do that without consolidating the video as well, I'm trying to find ways to take the load off the Ama workflow ( I often find audio mixdowns hang with Ama audio).

Thanks

iMac Retina27 late 2014 4Gz i7 16GB AMD R9 2GB with Sata Raid OS 10.11.6 MC 8.6.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 14 2017 12:38 PM In reply to

Make a copy of the final sequence. Do a gudie video mixdown.

Strip away all the video tracks and add the guide.

Then consolidate (the guide should get skipped as its on the traget drive)

Then add back the original video tracks to the new consolidated audio sequence. Use the gudie to check.

-

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 10:34 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 85
    • Points 905

Thanks Pat

Martin

iMac Retina27 late 2014 4Gz i7 16GB AMD R9 2GB with Sata Raid OS 10.11.6 MC 8.6.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller