Latest post Sat, Nov 4 2017 10:28 AM by Lukas Boeck. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 3 2017 6:52 PM

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 5 2012
    • Posts 53
    • Points 575

Would installing CAD/3d modelling apps conflict with MC?

Can anyone weigh in on how free of conflicts MC installations are with other applications these days?

On my MC machine, almost everything has been running without conflicts despite - in addition to MC - having Sibelius7.5, Cubase 8, Reason 8, a large EWQL sample library, and PPro CS4. (The only glitch: I have to switch video drivers back and forth if I round-trip to Resolve from MC - so I don't and use the Baselight plug-in instead.) The only app I need to run at the same time as MC is Cubase; but I do so seldom and not for long (which works as long as I keep the cubase files small and watch my ram use.)

Other than the above-mentioned apps, I would keep the installation quite clean. (Installing virus-protection only when necessary and then immediately uninistalling it, for example.)

I am considering getting a new computer (a laptop, if that's relevant) to run the above. But I'd like to also install CAD/modelling programmes (SketchUp, Rhino, either AutoCAD Architecture or Revit, and possibly Maya.) None of these would need to run concurrently with MC. I've researched the hardware requirements for the various programmes and it appears that MCs recommended configurations (I have their list of currently-approved specs) will more than satisfy them all; but I need to anticiipate possible conflicts. I suppose I could give it a try and at some point in the future would have to double the hardware if it turns out I have to, but I'd like to enter into it with a sense of how realistic the prospects are of operating all this on one machine.

thanks

David

MC 6.5.4 AVID-Configured HP Z400, 12GB, Nvida Quadro 2000, Windows 7, ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Sony FS100, Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 4 2017 10:28 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 434
    • Points 5,075

Re: Would installing CAD/3d modelling apps conflict with MC?

conflicts are unlikely.

at the same time pretty much unforseeable.

I've seen cases where adobe overwrites DLLs that avid uses, extremely rare scenario.

I've run maya and MC in paralell, no problem.

Since possible conflicts are not dependent on the hardware, I'd go ahead buying whatever setup suits you & see what happens.

It's always good practice to keep an image of the fresh install, roll back to that if things go haywire.

absolute worst and unlikely scenario: dual boot machine.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller